Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need new laptop for photo editing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 turkey10

turkey10

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

My budget for the new computer is:

$1000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Web browsing, email, photo editing, music

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
corel paintshop pro X7, malwarebytes premium

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
No

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Lots of photos and some music

Will you be overclocking?
no

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

How many monitors are you planning to use?

Do you need peripherals? OS?
windows 7

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?
Old laptop screen died and it was real slow for photo editing even with basic editing software.

I have looked at some gaming laptops because I have read that having a good graphics card and extra RAM helps with photo editing. Newegg has some nice one but they all run widows 8.1 and I don't want to go there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

For $1000 I really think that anything you do is going to be fantastic for your uses (more than enough). Get an SSD for the windows C drive, and a larger blue hard drive for your files (don't get a slow green drive unless it's a 3rd drive for storing tons of old stuff). Get 16 gigs of ram and 64 bit windows 7. Make sure your video card (or onboard video) has the connections you want (out of: d-sub vga, dvi, hdmi).

When some people say "good graphics card" they mean awesome gaming video card. If you got a $350 gaming video card most of that money is wasted because photo editing doesn't need all that. What I might do is go with onboard video, and then see if it's good enough for you, because if you found that it wasn't (I don't see how it wouldn't be) then you can always add a video card later.

#3 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:12 AM

bloodshot, Thanks for the advice. How big of an SSD would I need? This is what I was looking at getting if I could get it with windows 7 instead of 8. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317542  Is that a big enough SSD? Or could you recommend something that looks like it would work for me? Thanks again.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

Sorry, even though you clearly said you were looking for a laptop I managed to blur past that and I gave you advice regarding getting a desktop PC, so most of it doesn't make sense. My bad. (Still true about 16gigs ram though.) I could give some half assed advice about laptops but I better just shut up and let some people who are up on laptops reply.

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

Lenovo's are great for their performance and price. Even though the Y50 is specc'ed for gaming, it'll definitely suit your needs; however, I'm not sure if Corel supports GPU rendering, and if it does, it'll be boosted by the 860M (most likely), which is a decent graphics card on a laptop. 

I would say it's a good go, but it comes with Windows 8.1, that's just unfortunate, you can't get laptops with W7 preloaded these days... Also, please avoid Asus and Acer laptops, they have low-life expectancies, especially their batteries, which Lenovos happen to excel on. If you need more proof their good, they use Lenovo computers up on the International Space Station (ISS), which probably suggests their awesomeness.

I would also grab it quickly, since it's on sale now :)

Edited by Ezzah, 16 November 2014 - 07:44 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the levono. My other choice was a refurbished ASUS. I will just have to work with windows 8. Is it possible to buy windows 7 and load it over windows 8? Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users