Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can any one recommend new laptop for photo editing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 turkey10

turkey10

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hi,
     I am looking for a new laptop and I would like to get some thing that will work good for photo editing, nothing fancy just for amateur photography. I would like to stay with Windows 7. I looked at gaming laptops on newegg, don't know if that is overboard for photo editing purposes, found some nice setups in my price range ($1000 or less) but everything had Windows 8.1. Any help is appreciated. :thumbup2:

Just realized I posted this in the wrong place should have been in Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer. Sorry, is there some way to move it over there?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2014 - 09:48 AM.
moved from System Building and Upgrading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'd recommend going with Windows 8 and installing something like Start8 one of the Start menu replacements available.  A touch screen might be a good idea also, it will be more intuitive for photo editing.  Here are some Lenovos that are well suited for what you're looking to do.

#3 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

Look for a models with 8-bit IPS or S-PVA/P-MVA/S-MVA display panel. Its important not to take some TN panel display, because that cheap panels are good for gaming and every day use, but for photography, You need some of mentioned panel because of good view angles, color reproduction... 

If You dont need Your PC to be mobile, its always best to assemble some desktop PC, because You can choose monitor, CPU, GPU... separately and go cheaper and faster. For a laptop technology (miniaturisation) You need to pay extra money and get much less power. Not to talk about better upgrade possibilities.... So if You dont need to move Your PC, go with desktop. Thats my opinion.

#4 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. This is what I decided to go with, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318093

I think it will work well and then some for me.

#5 Zero Flyer

Zero Flyer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Good choice. Too bad that Lenovo do not provide downgrade to win 7 (my opinion), but machine is very good.
Good luck pal!

#6 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

no matter which PC/laptop you end up with, make sure you purchase a color calibration unit (spyder makes a few excellent models); otherwise, your printed shots will always differ from what you saw on the screen during editing.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users