Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time build help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alexmark

alexmark

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

Looking to build a high end somewhat futureproof gaming pc, im not the type of person who wants to run everythign ultra settings but it couldnt hurt to have the option too not planning on making many upgrades on it in the near future so im trying to make it as futureproof as possible while still being reasonably priced ive got 0 experience with building and very little experience with fully understanding specs so i could use all the help i can get heres the parts that ive considered using so far; every thing i list below is not finalized so feel free to make any suggestions if im buying not suited for this build or if theres just a better alternative this will most likley be bought within the week since most of the components are on sale

Case

CPU

Graphics Card

Memory

Storage

going with a 250gb SSD and  a basic 1tb harddrive

Motherboard

no clue where to start with this one  so i could really use advice/suggestions on it

Optical drive

Cooling

Power supply

not too sure on this one either

Pretty sure thats everything any suggestions at all would be appreciated

Thanks ahead of time

Edit: my budget is approx $1500 canadian, getting close to it already around 1.3k now

Edited by alexmark, 14 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

What exactly is your budget for this build?

3939.png

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

For the sake of "future proofing" and to balance your build (ie: that is a great video card, but then you have only 8 gigs ram?) you should:

- do get an SSD + a HDD. You could manage with a 256 gig SSD and put your OS and main game(s) on that, and extra stuff on the HD.

- get 16 gigs of ram

Your CPU is a socket LGA 1150. So you need a motherboard that fits that.

Once you decide on all your parts you can calculate what power supply you need for it.

#4 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

was talking to a friend earlier today and he suggested the same thing using an ssd with a 1tb hdd as storage, and i did a bit of reading and it seems like 16 gb of ram is overkill also for the motherboard finding one thats compatible with everything shouldnt be too hard but i would have no clue about all the other ports, plugs and accessorys on the motherboard  that i might need in the future so i could really use suggestions on that one; for the power supply how would i calculate which one is best for my needs

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

I disagree about the ram (how is a 8gb ram pc "high end"), but, to each his own :)    However, if you will get 8gigs, then to future proof your machine, make sure that you leave slots open. For example (probably a lame example that would never happen, but just something to think about) if you had 4 slots, don't fill them with 2 gig chips 2+2+2+2=8, because then in the future you can't add more without throwing some out). I imagine you will have 4 slots and do 4+4 with 2 slots remaining though.

Motherboards and cases come with the various wires and bits that you need.

As far as what you want on the motherboard, you are looking for things including (but not limited to):

- number of ram slots

- max amount of ram supported

- # of USB 3.0 ports

- onboard video? If so, what ports? DVI, VGA, HDMI?

(- cpu socket type, cpu support list)

- number of SATA ports

- chipset... but, other guys on here would have to tell you the significance of that, I don't know too much about that.

To calculate the PSU, you can use PSU calculating websites, but, also when you have your final specs, you can ask here and people will know what you need (but I just meant they cannot know till we know what all the parts are going to be). People may reply with more details about what you should buy, I was just giving my 2 cents about some of it.

#6 alexmark

alexmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:32 AM

after doing a bit of research i think Ive nearly finalized my build by looking at this is there anything I'm clearly missing?excluding mouse keyboard  Ethernet cable and static wrist strap everything else on the list below im starting from scratch so im wondering if there are things that usually don't come with what i ordered like hdmi cables etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.95 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($32.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($154.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($85.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($138.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($376.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.95 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($204.06 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($278.95 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1741.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-15 01:32 EST-0500

Edited by alexmark, 15 November 2014 - 01:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users