Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same Dell P.O.S. Laptop, different problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kosh75287

Kosh75287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

In the process of getting my laptop all virused-up and then unvirused, I suspect that some keyboard settings were altered.

In particular, the spacebar either doesn't work, or works one letter too late. When I am typing a sentence and press the space bar, the first letter of the following word gets crowded against the last letter of the previous one. The space is then between the first and second letter of the following word. Were I to type the sentence, "The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog" on my computer's keyboard, it would appear thus:

Theq uickr edf oxj umpedo vert hel azyb rownd og.

Page up and page down keys work properly. Arrow keys do not work, or work only intermittently.

I can rectify spacing errors by putting the cursor after the first letter of the following word, backspacing, hitting the space bar, and typing the first letter of the following word. The first letter of the following word is then placed appropriately. A second later, the cursor and all characters to the right of it go scurrying to the right of the screen, as though I was holding down the spacebar. This can be stopped by tapping the backspace or delete key.

I've tried wiping the drive and installing and reinstalling windows 7. I have run anti-virus programs on the computer to the point of exhaustion. I have tried deleting the keyboard drivers and rebooting. I have run the Microsoft "Fixer" Program without result. I have tried updating the keyboard driver, but it appears that I have the newest update available. In the process of solving the virus problem, I deleted the (then) current update of the keyboard driver, and cannot "system restore" the settings back to when they work.

Now, before I elect to turn this thing into a very expensive and aerodynamically very unlikely clay pigeon, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might fix this thing?

I am a student, and $$ is tight, hence my dogged determination to fix this thing. Any guidance given would be very much appreciated.

Kosh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:46 PM

Try plugging an external keyboard into one of the USB ports and using that. If that solves the issue, then the keyboard on the laptop is shot.

If that doesn't solve it, try updating the driver. Check Dell's website and download the keyboard driver for your make and model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users