Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DLLHOST.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 gchase65

gchase65

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

I have several Dllhost.exe running and it is eating up my processor.  can anyone tell me how to fix or shutdown all these services?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 _JamesTM

_JamesTM

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:00 PM

Solution I. Re-enable downloads in Internet Explorer

• Close all Internet Explorer windows.
  • Press the Windows key windows_key_icon.jpg + R
  • Type inetcpl.cpl into the Open field and click OK. This will open Internet Properties (otherwise known as Internet Options).

SOLN3587Fig1-1.png

Figure 1-1

• Click the Security tab icon-rarr_10x9.png Reset all zones to default level.

SOLN3587Fig1-2.png

Figure 1-2

• When you are finished, click OK to save your changes.
*Moderator Edit: Removed suggestion to run a tool which is allowed ONLY in the malware removal forums. Please read this regarding use of malware removal tools http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/ ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

How many is "several"? It's not all that unusual to have more than one instance of dllhost.exe running, and it can cause high CPU usage -- just make sure the dllhost instances that are running are located in the C:\Windows\system32 folder. Right click each instance in Task Manager>Processes, and select Properties, General tab. If the process running is located in the system32 folder, it's probably safe. If it's located somewhere else, then it's malware.

dllhost is like svchost.exe. It's a system file that serves as a host for other dll files and binary executable files. In cases where it's causing high CPU usage not caused by malware, another dll file being run through the host process is usually the culprit.

#4 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:22 AM

*Moderator Edit: Removed suggestion to run a tool which is allowed ONLY in Malware Removal Logs forum. Please read this regarding use of malware removal tools http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/ ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2014 - 09:36 AM.

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:34 AM

I would recommend making sure it's a malware problem first. We really don't have enough information to determine whether that's the case or not.

How often does this problem of multiple dllhost processes using up excessive CPU occur? Does it only happen when certain programs are running, or randomly? And, again, how may instances of dllhost are we talking about?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:22 AM

Here are known versions of dllhost.exe

http://www.systemlookup.com/search.php?type=filename&client=malwaresearch-ff&search=Dllhost.exe

The probability of malware is extremely high.

I recommend the OP starts a malware removal thread.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:33 AM

Looking at the  link supplied by TsVk!, the probability that this is malware is about 80%.

I am sending the OP a PM to open a topic in the 'Am I infected?' section and locking this topic.

Chris Cosgrove.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

gchase65

Chris Cosgrove locked this topic. Please do not use the report function as a way to comment here since you are not able to reply to a locked topic. Those who can help you will not see the report.

Instead, do as suggested by Chris Cosgrove and start a new topic in Am I Infected.

One of your reports stated "The dllhost issue seems to be gone only one running now. But have 15 SVCHOST.exe running not sure what that means".

You do need to make sure that there is no malware on your system.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 November 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

He did start a new topic in Am I Infected. That topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556104/dllhostexe-and-svchostexe/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users