Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dblhelp missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Novice167

Novice167

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hi! I am new here, you'll see from the nightmare I have had with my ASUS laptop that I should have been here a long time ago.

I have been running Kaspersky since I brought the PC and when I updated it (on their advise I did not need to remove the original K, just update over!  Bad move)  This move resulted in a PC that could not do anything.  Had to take it to a repair shop where they found that my rescue disk were corrupt, he did something to repair the section that was damaged and returned it to me.  However, I could not install any security because some remnant of Kaspersky was still out there.  I ran the Kaspersky removal tool numerous times, but it remained.So, I took the PC to the local Geek squad and they worked on it trying to get it removed.  No luck.   But,  their process included adding CC Cleaner.  So here is the current problem,   I ran CC Cleaner and in that process managed to delete something that is apparently very important. 

I can still access the internet, but I cannot download anything, can't open attachments and cannot update windows,. I get dbghelp.dll missing messages and when I look at Windows history I see that almost all updates since April have failed. 

I really don't even know the right question to ask.  If the help file is causing all this,  how can I correct that if I can't download anything?   Is there an easy way to look and see what is wrong?

Should I just go to ASUS and try to get good recovery disks and start over? 

By the way, I did finally get the Kaspersky issue resolved by a tech guy at the office. Before all the other stuff happened.

Thanks so much! 

Novice167

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

If you run

sfc /scannow

from an elevated command prompt it will likely restore dbghelp.dll, and other missing Windows files.

Edited by TsVk!, 13 November 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#3 Novice167

Novice167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:01 PM

So, if I follow the link instructions for elevated command and just type in the  sfc/scannow it should take care of this?  

Is this done in safemode, or anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

it can be done in safe mode, but it is not essential.

Nothing else to be aware of.

It may or may not fix the problem, it is just a probability. We can start to look at less likely solutions after, if necessary.

#5 Novice167

Novice167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thanks, I'll follow up, hopefully with good news!

#6 Novice167

Novice167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

Well my hopes have been dashed! 

I ran the scannow function with the following results:

System ran for a couple minutes and stopped at 15%

Received the following error message:

Windows Resource Protection could not preform the requested operation.

I did attempt twice, results were the same both times.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:25 AM

Please run

chkdsk /r

from an elevated command prompt, which will need a restart

and then

sfc /scannow

from safe mode.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 November 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#8 Novice167

Novice167
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Here is a summary of what happened:

1.  Opened in SAFEMODE and attempted to run CHKDSK with the following result:

Received message: Cannot lock the current drive.  CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

2.  Decided to try and run the SCANNOW function from SAFEMODE with the following result:

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.  Details are included in the CBS Long Windir/Logs\CBS\CBS.log

3.  REBOOTED and went to the internet to see how things were working. With the following result:

Could access Email, and various sites, but was extremely slow.

4.  Decided to go back and retry the CHKDSK process.  When it failed to run (same as above) I requested to run at start up and rebooted with the following results:

Ran through the entire process and did not find any errors.

5.  Rebooted again and went back to the internet with the following result:

Speed appears back to normal.

6.  Attempted to update Adobe (has been unable to do updates before) with the following result:

Failed.  Error 1406.  Could not write value content type to key \.fdf.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

7:  Attempted to update WINDOWS with the following result:

Failed.  An error occurred while checking for new updates. Code 8007005.  Windows encountered an unknown error.

I was optimistic through item 5.  However, I guess the results of 6 and 7 indicate that I still have a problem.

Is there any benefit from running additional scannow to try and catch other errors?

Thanks again for your help!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users