Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

questions regarding burning DVD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anniyan

anniyan

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

hi,

1. consider this situation: i have a write-once DVD-R (DVD-5) empty disc. during the 1st session, i burn a disc image (say an ISO file, etc.) in the disc which occupies, say 1GB of the disc. will the disc be automatically set to closed / finalized (non-writeable) for further data files like PDF, EXE, etc (data files other than disc images), making the 4489MB minus the 1GB unusable ?

2. now the same situation, but instead of further data files like PDF, EXE, etc (data files other than disc images), i wanna burn another ISO file which utilizes the remaining space; is that possible?

3. the reverse order of situation number 1.

4. any methods and / or software (preferably free) to overcome these problems?

5. a different topic: can anyone suggest a DVD burning software (preferably free) that has this option: "automatically delete the source files (not the temporary files created just before the burning process) after successful burning and verification is complete from the hard drive."; so that i need not delete the source files on the HDD manually by searching. i guess a software produced by http://complexnt.com/ had this feature in its earlier versions, not sure about the current version.

thanks in advance :)

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:36 PM

Over the years I have used different application for burning discs, currently I have ImageBurn, Free Easy Burner and Nero v9 on my system, and yes, the default is to close the disc at the end of burning but you can usually change this in the settings before you start so that you can add other files later. Look at the settings options in the burner you are using.

As far as your computer - or for that matter a DVD - is concerned an .ISO is just a file like any other so, so long as you set the option 'Do not close after writing', it doesn't matter which order or what type of file you are writing.

Can't help with your #5. I ship a lot of data around but I want to keep the original !  Apart from that I use DVDs primarily for backing up my photos and similar data and I keep the originals on my hard drives for quick access.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

If you burn an iso file as an image where the iso file is extracted and the disk shows all files in the iso file, then no, you cannot burn any more data on that disk. As far as I know the disk is closed and no additional writing is allowed. If you burn the iso file as a data file where it will show as an iso file on the DVD then you can create a multisession disk. Imgburn which is great at burning does not support multisession.

For free burning software that supports multisession there is

http://www.starburnsoftware.com/products/starburn/features

Not sure if it can delete the source files on completion of a burn.

#4 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:23 PM

thank for replying,  Mr. Chris and Mr. John.

@JohnC_21,

yes, i meant burning an ISO file as an image and the disk shows all files in the ISO file, and not burning the ISO file as a data file where it will show as an ISO file on the DVD.

2. AFAIK,

If you burn an iso file as an image where the iso file is extracted and the disk shows all files in the iso file, then no, you cannot burn any more data on that disk, as far as I know the disk is closed and no additional writing is allowed. If you burn the iso file as a data file where it will show as an iso file on the DVD then you can create a multisession disk.

is right.

3. BTW, are you sure that Imgburn does not support multisession? i am not sure.

anybody more? thanks in advance :)

#5 anniyan

anniyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

to answer my own question number 5
after lots of searching, i found out that astroburn has this option.

expert opinions about any of my 5 questions are welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users