Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosted Exchange Server and Mac

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have a customer who wants to go Mac based and use a Hosted Exchange platform for email. (Fasthosts)

I have set this up on PC based networks no bother but I gather there are some issue with doing this Mac based.

His current set up is all PC. MS Office etc.  I appreciate one is Apple and One is Microsoft but information as to the issues / pitfalls is patchy.

Just wondered if anyone had done it and what their experience was.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

What kind of email client will they be using on the Mac? If the hosted Exchange offers Outlook Web Access, they can access their email from a browser and there shouldn't be any issues.

There are Mac versions of Outlook as well, which will probably work better with Exchange than the native Apple Mail application, although that should work as well. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3748

If they're going to use some other client like Thunderbird, then make sure the hosted Exchange has IMAP and/or POP enabled -- on Exchange, those aren't by default. They'll also need to install an add-on if they want to use all the Exchange features that aren't available in IMAP or POP.

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks

Well they use Office so as Office is available on the Mac I assumed we would go that route and use Outlook 2011 for Mac.  They use all the diary and calendar features of Outlook so I would want to replicate it as much as possible.

It would be really great to hear from someone who has done the same and what the pros and cons were.  There isnt much on the internet when you do a search.

I spoke to Fasthosts who provide the hosted exchange package and they told me whilst it works on a Mac there have been issues.  When I asked the 1st line support key to elaborate he couldnt. Just said it doesnt work as well as a PC platform! :rolleyes:

Edited by bdpoop, 14 November 2014 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users