Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restored Win xp Laptop, anyway at all to do existing updates?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FTLOSM

FTLOSM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

I know support and future patches for xp have expired, but I got my dads old laptop here (he has passed) and it was just really messed up with viruses and whatnot so I used the restore discs to take it back to day one, that sure did make it run better, but of course when I try to do windows updates it shows 180+ available but won't download any of them just sits at 0%.

Although this isn't a new lightweight superfast machine I still kinda want to use it and or pass it down to my daughter (14) due to it being his and all and hey it's a 17 incher so it's easy on the eyes too.

I knew about xp support ending and future security patches not being available but I didn't realize that meant i couldn't get the existing ones even, (unless I am doing something wrong?) is there any work around or way to manually download and install xp updates from microsoft or anything to at least bring me up to date to when they stopped support?

If not I understand, just hate to see it not be used much and am not too keen on the idea of trying ubuntu doubt my daughter would be interested in trying that option either unless it's a last resort choice.

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:02 PM

I had the same problem when I did a clean install with a slipstreamed XP SP3 disk. I could not get updates until I installed the latest Windows Update Agent for XP. After that, I was able to download updates.  You may also have to install IE7 or IE8 before it works but I can't remember if I did that.

Edit: It is my understanding the Microsoft still provides updates for XP.

(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334)

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 November 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

What John said :)..

I don't know how far "back" you went...but you need to have at least SP1 installed before you can install SP3.  Once SP3 is installed, you should be able to use Windows Update, after updating for changed Active X controls.

I still use XP and John is right about monthly updates for Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Louis

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

- You can manually download those updates and install them manually. Just write down the name of the update(s) (e.g. "KB...........") and do a GOOGLE search for them. That should bring up the MS webpage from which you can manually download each of those updates.

- Is Windows telling you what each update is meant to do/which problem to solve ? Is one or more of those updates an update for the socalled "(Windows) update agent" ? Then manually download that file as well and install it. I hope/would assume that then Windows is able to automatically download and install all other updates.

-  Warning: Take your time to let those updates to be downloaded and installed. The sub system called Windows Update is quite "brittle" and easily "broken". Just let your system run for as long as the system needs to install & download all the updates. Think 30 minutes or even more. And don't do anything else on your computer.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

No need to manually download XP critical updates...they are available via Windows or Microsoft Update sites.

If needed, the SP3 update can be manually downloaded and installed from the desktop or whatever location you send downloads on your system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users