Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly all HDDs have detection problem on every device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AnBoKi

AnBoKi

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

My external HDDs can't be recognized on any device (PC or PS3). They were working fine this morning but now PS3 simply doesn't show them and PC says it's malfunctioning and it can't be recognized. I use ATA/SATA cables to use it as external HDD. I bought new ones to be sure it's not problem in cable connection. I tried using Disk Management but still no difference. I can't update driver, and after uninstalling it and updating using Slim Drivers it is still not able to function properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

I can't update driver, and after uninstalling it and updating using Slim Drivers it is still not able to function properly.

Hi, first of all, get rid of any 3rd party driver software utilities. Most USB on external drives are generic windows driver compatible. When you say using ATA/SATA cables, do you mean the USB connectors? I presume you meant that the drive letter by Windows explorer and disk management is not shown or loaded? Is the external drive(s) powered up properly on any port connected with solid light and flickering when initially inserted?

Tekken

#3 AnBoKi

AnBoKi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

I can't update driver, and after uninstalling it and updating using Slim Drivers it is still not able to function properly.

Hi, first of all, get rid of any 3rd party driver software utilities. Most USB on external drives are generic windows driver compatible. When you say using ATA/SATA cables, do you mean the USB connectors? I presume you meant that the drive letter by Windows explorer and disk management is not shown or loaded? Is the external drive(s) powered up properly on any port connected with solid light and flickering when initially inserted?

Never used 3rd party driver software. Didn't have need to. Except for Swissknife formatter to put some HDDs in FAT32. By ATA/SATA cables I mean this : http://www.cs-electronics.com/serial-ata.htm 

And in disk management I sea only a partition of internal hdd of my lapotop or pc. Power is fine, I can hear HDD spinning. There is no light because these are not made to be external, but taken out of PC or laptop. 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

The link is broken or so... page cannot be found. Do you mean enclosures? Did it worked prior after formatting?

Tekken

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:25 AM

Hello,

First of all – what are the brands of the hard drives? From what I understand – you're using external docking station or enclosure to run the drives? Have you tried connecting them to a SATA cable directly in your PC or another one? Also – try with another HDD in the same docking station/enclosure to figure out if the hard drives have failed. Even though you say that the drives are not visible in Disk Management – you can try to run your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool, especially if the drives are visible in BIOS.

Also keep in mind, that if the drives have suffered any physical damage and your data is valuable – don't try to run any data recovery software. In this case you may want to contact a data recovery company.

Hope that was helpful, Citizen_WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users