Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between Microsoft Update & Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have been told in Windows Server these are two seperate things. I need to perform Microsoft Updates and Windows updates on multiple servers. Where do I go to get to Microsoft Updates? I have been told that this essentially updates things such as SQL etc if applicable.

Thanks very much! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

From the Web...sounds about right...

Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update - Free Windows Computer Help

Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update

If you are one of those Windows users that likes to do your own updates rather than letting Microsoft tell you what you need then you may have noticed that there is a Windows Update as well as a Microsoft Update. Now the question is which should you be using and what’s the difference? The answer is it’s up to you and whether or not you want to use one stop shopping for your updates.

Windows Update only does updates for the Windows operating system itself. These updates also include Windows components such as Internet Explorer, DirectX, .NET and Windows Media Player. It also includes security and service pack updates.

Microsoft Update includes all of the items that Windows Update covers as well as other Microsoft products such as Office, SQL and Exchange all in one place. Normally you would have to go to Office Update to do your Office updates and then find the various other updates for other Microsoft products. Microsoft Update is free to use of course and can be applied to your computer simply by visiting the Microsoft Update site. Once you start using Microsoft Update on your computer it will replace Windows Update and take you to the new site even if you click on the Windows Update icon.

w70.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jackysonic

jackysonic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

Windows Updates provide updates for system and some necessary components, while Microsoft Updates provide more like optional updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users