Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Setup Help - Cable Modem/Router to Unifi AP and Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 904JagFan

904JagFan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hello all, I am trying to setup my home network using a Unifi AP and a TP-Link WR841ND wireless router. What I am trying to do is use the 841ND in WDS mode to act as a bridge to extend the signal from the Unifi AP. I have followed all of the instructions provided by TP Link to switch the router to run in WDS mode and I can get to the point where the 841ND is broadcasting the new SSID, but I am not able to connect using any of my wireless devices.

Overall topography looks like this:
Comcast XB3 (modem/Wi-Fi router) -> switch -> POE injector -> Unifi AP

Currently the Wi-Fi is turned off on the Comcast XB3, but it is still working as a router handling DHCP assignment. Could the problem be that the TP Link router can't run in WDS mode to an AP, and will only work in this config to another router? If so, would I be better off turning the Wi-Fi back on on the Comcast box, keeping the Unifi AP in the network and run that and the TP Link router in WDS mode bridging the Comcast Wi-Fi signal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

The UniFi AP does not support standard WDS protocols. WDS requires that both the AP and Client support it for repeater functionality. I really like the UniFi AP's, but interoperability is not something they were designed for or do well. Ubiquiti has a proprietary "wireless uplink" protocol that works between UniFi AP's, but it won't work with any other radio that I know of. Your choices are to turn on WiFi in your Comcast box and configure it to use WDS (which may or may not work with your TP Link - the standard has a lot of room for "interpretation" by different vendors) or get another UniFi to act as the repeater. Personally, I'd look at using broadband over powerline to extend an ethernet from the router to the remote location then use a second AP as a wired extender. BPL is getting cheaper and more reliable and doesn't have the speed penalty you get from any wireless repeater mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users