Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Parental control" software for businesses

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bjorn.l

bjorn.l

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hi folks!

I work at a school and we need an application to restrict the student computers from accessing certain websites - at certain times.
We run a 2008 server and all the student/client computers (total of 25) are Win7 – and all are cable connected.

We want e.g. the client computers to be able to access Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and other movie and social web sites from 08:00 to 09:00 - but from 09:00 to 11:30 we want to block sites like this. In the lunch time (11:30 -12:00) we want the students to have access again - but from 12:00 to 14:00 we want to block those web sites again.
In addition we want these rules only to be active monday, wednesday and friday.

I know people use policies for IE and Content Filtering on firewalls to accomplish blocking of web sites, but I dont think these solutions would do the job for us.

Do anybody know about and can recommend an application that will give us this kind of detail configuration on web access? Either installed locally on the clients or on the server...

Thanks in advance.

Bjorn.l

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:20 PM

I don't know of any web filtering software that would set a time limit for a particular app. The time quota is for access to the internet or not. Two that I have heard of but I have no experience with are.

K9   paid for commercial or non-profit use.

NXfilter. Free

#3 bjorn.l

bjorn.l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. K9 I have heard about. I will check out the NXFilter.

Yes, it's the time limit part that makes this project somewhat challenging - but I hope someone have a suggestion.

We are (of course) prepared to pay for software with such capabilities.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

From looking at the tutorial to NXfilter, you can edit a policy to start and stop internet access but only to broad categories like Social Networking, not specific apps.

#5 bjorn.l

bjorn.l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for checking this out. Appreciated.

The software seems quite impressive. I will dig deeper into the documentations... maybe it will meet some of our needs.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

Perhaps any easier way to do it, rather than configure each computer's settings or install software on each, is set up a web proxy server and set up the computers to go through the server when they want to access the Internet. You can blacklist certain websites, and blacklist them for certain times while allowing them to be accessible at other times. Squid in particular is good for this, although it requires some knowledge of the command line. CCProxy has a more user-friendly graphical user interface that lets you configure blocked sites, times, etc.

#7 bjorn.l

bjorn.l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

This seems promising - especially CCProxy, because there are two other teachers who have to add websites to the blacklist on a regular basis. With a GUI - the easier the better.

Is it possible to set this proxy up on the Win.server?

I will definately dig into this. Thanks!

Edited by bjorn.l, 14 November 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

CCProxy can be set up on a Windows machine. http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/set-up-proxy-server.htm

Squid is a Linux server, so it would have to be installed on a Linux machine.

#9 bjorn.l

bjorn.l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

CCProxy can be set up on a Windows machine. http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/set-up-proxy-server.htm

Squid is a Linux server, so it would have to be installed on a Linux machine.

Then CCProxy would be most suitable. Thanks again, sflatechguy. Most appreciated! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users