Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloaded gmail archive not convenient

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

I hoped that if I download an archive of my gmail messages, I would be able to find and read any of them as easily as if they were still on the webmail account, remote from my computer.  Too difficult.  Inconvenient; cannot see a listing of messages - only find ONE file not allowing any categorization into a formatted listing, and then there is so much long incomprehensible code between every message.

So far, I have tried viewing an archive through Thunderbird, and through a wordprocessor program.  The archive through these is unworkable, and impractical.  HOW can I get through this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Set up ThunderBird as an IMAP client, to store and read all your messages. Here is the Mozilla "how to"

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

Set up ThunderBird as an IMAP client, to store and read all your messages. Here is the Mozilla "how to"

I'm not certain if that will match the goal.  Will the messages be still only on gmail account, or will the messages be ON MY Computer?  In any case, the gmail accounts are already set for IMAP through the gmail webmail settings in the gmail account.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:13 PM

They will be on your computer. When you sync with Google any messages you have deleted will delete from your Gmail inbox and new messages in Gmail will be added to your inbox on your local machine.

You can also create local folders within Thunderbird that will not sync with Gmail, should you want to store some emails completely separately.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

IMAP is a server type, currently you have no configured IMAP client to read that data... you just use the web based interface. It is very handy for you that it is already set up for you by Google.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

IMAP is a server type, currently you have no configured IMAP client to read that data... you just use the web based interface. It is very handy for you that it is already set up for you by Google.

I have a portable installed version of Thunderbird and it is configured for three accounts (a couple of them being gmail accounts); I also have a separate gmail account which has not yet been added to  my portable Thunderbird.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

So when you disconnect your internet you can still read your previous messages? Correct?

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:10 AM

So when you disconnect your internet you can still read your previous messages? Correct?

Yes.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

Great. :thumbup2:

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:35 AM

Yes.

Great. :thumbup2:

NO no NO NO;

That is what I WANT to be able to do. HOW DO I DO IT?

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:43 AM

I don't understand that if you have configured an IMAP client on your machine that you cannot read your downloaded mail offline. This is the whole point of an IMAP client. Otherwise you would just use the web interface... :blink:

There must be some setting that is mis-configured in your portable version of Thunderbird. I suggest you look in the settings to enable something like "offline files" or "archiving".

Someone else please jump in here if you know it.

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

I don't understand that if you have configured an IMAP client on your machine that you cannot read your downloaded mail offline. This is the whole point of an IMAP client. Otherwise you would just use the web interface... :blink:

There must be some setting that is mis-configured in your portable version of Thunderbird. I suggest you look in the settings to enable something like "offline files" or "archiving".

Someone else please jump in here if you know it.

The downloaded archive of gmail is 1 file, and a mess to try to use.  I want to be able to take the mbox file from my gmail account, and view it without all the mess.  Normally, when one views their email ONLINE through their webmail, everything is organized and easy to find, with a list and other things making the entire set of email, NEAT.  The archive of gmail is the way to have the gmail messages on my local personal computer.  TsVk!, other members can give advice if they want or know, but you still can too, if you can more clearly understand this the way I mean to say.

Really I am not too clear on ways of having other email account emails onto the local computer using programs like Thunderbird; the arrangement of where and when they go onto the computer is uncertain, something I still do not understand.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users