Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Power fan is abnormal" warning..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emily_rose

emily_rose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hi.  My PC(i'm using my laptop right now) had a black screen message pop up afte just being on the desktop last night saying: "Warning! Your power fan is abnormal."  Panicing I turned it off immediately and didn't read the rest of it. I checked the power supply and the fan was making very loud noises and was unusually hot. Is my power supply dieing? I'm afraid to use it or turn it on. Not sure if the other fans on are the motherboard are working properly or not. Does anyone know if the message is referring to the power supply or the cpu?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hi,
I suspect its a malware.
Power supply / SMPS will get a bit heated from prolonged use, but I have not seen it being shown through the popup.
Can you please provide the system specs please such that we confirm the issue is h/w related? You can make use of speccy from https://www.piriform.com/speccy to gather the details.
And incase you are working with a MR and the subject machine is this PC, disregard the reply.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 13 November 2014 - 07:41 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hi, thank you for responding. Here are the system specs:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR @ 159MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
    ASUSTek Computer Inc. P4SD-VX (CPU 1)    38 °C
Graphics
    W1942 (1440x900@60Hz)
    512MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 (ATI AIB)    51 °C
Storage
    232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 ATA Device (ATA)    37 °C
Optical Drives
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D ATA Device
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-140C ATA Device
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

This is just the summary of the specs that I posted so let me know if you need anything more detailed. One thing I noticed while looking at this was that the graphics card keeps changing temperature from 42-51. I am unsure if that is normal or not.I have not turned the system on in a few days after I saw the message pop up about the power fan. Another thing I wanted to mention is that awhile back the sound on this system mysteriously stopped working. I have tested and confirmed that it is not the speakers so i'm wondering if the sound card went on it's own or if all these issues may somehow be related. I did have a bit of a pop up problem as well with this computer before although it is not nearly as bad as it once was.

Edited by emily_rose, 17 November 2014 - 09:33 PM.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

emily_rose,

It looks like you might have a system over heating problem, but the partial Speccy info you provided does not show your CPO temperature info.  Please do the following to post a link to more complete Speccy results.  Thanks.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, following the instructions at the following site- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 emily_rose

emily_rose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

Here we go:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RmyBIDOGJhwlkuVuC0dn4mH

Edited by emily_rose, 18 November 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#6 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for posting your Speccy info.

Unfortunately, for some reason, it is not reporting any temperature info on your CPU.  You might want to check to make sure the CPU cooling fan is running okay, not blocked by dust or loose wires, and possibly have an additional case cooling fan blowing air on it.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with more advice on your "Power fan is abnormal" warning message.

P.S.  Speccy is reporting your Java is out of date, which is a security risk, so you might want to get that updated soon.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi emily,
I couldnt find any abnormal temperature reading from the data you posted here or on speccy. All readings seem to be normal.
May be the GPU temperature changes due to the usage demand.
Can you check the CPU and GPU temperature by using realtemp from : http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
or
speed fan from : http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
and report back the temperature of GPU and each core of CPU.
Did you see the warning about ' abnormal power fan ' after the initial post?
I am still asking not to do any modifications, if you feel the popup issue is not completely resolved (which will be the case if you have used your own methods to fix the popups). But seek help from the malware removal section .
-----
If you feel confident your pc is clean, please read the rest.
Is your sound / audio system working now? If not, try connecting the speakers to front panel speaker jack and check.
You may need to uninstall and reinstall the sound / audio chipset driver and check if no sound can be heared.
If your power supply is dying, the first symptom must be dead cooling fan of SMPS ie, to which the external power cord is connected.
And the power supply / SMPS will not notify it with a popup, just because it cant.
But if its your cpu or gpu cooling fans, then we may need to check the system. Thats why we need the readings.
Inorder to keep your system upto date, use secunia PSI from : http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users