Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Puppy Precise doesn't want me to update Firefox. Stuck at 30.0

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Now I an having java issues and would like to update.

I've tried the PPM bit every package for 33 seems to be in a foreign language.

I must be missing something. I've downloaded FF 33 for linux but I'm not sure where to extract it to or how to direct Puppy to use it instead of the current default to 30.0.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

Easiest way to update Firefox on Puppy to the latest version is to open the version you have, click: Help --> About Firefox, and it should update automatically.

image-2_zps89aa2db7.png

Edited by Al1000, 12 November 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:23 AM

It doesn't offer an 'update' link. Firefox 30.0 for ubuntu canonical 1.0

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

brian2009 don't jump into this yet until Al1000 is back online. He is one of our Puppy experts.

Al, does Puppy work anyway different to what I would expect eg?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox

...entering between lines?

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

does Puppy work anyway different to what I would expect eg?

Yes way different. 

Puppy Linux operating system is a lightweight Linux distribution that focuses on ease of use and minimal memory footprint. The entire system can be run from RAM with current versions generally taking up about 130 MB, allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system has started.

There is no sudo command in Puppy. Unlike nearly every other Linux distro Puppy is a single user system that always runs as root. In most versions of Puppy there is also no apt-get command. You might try wget but you use it with an URL, not an app name. Those new to Puppy might be better off using tools like petget or quickpet or even better the Puppy Package Manager if it has what you want.

sudo command not found

Edited by NickAu1, 14 November 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:08 AM

Puppy is a single user system that always runs as root.

Well, bugger, I HAD seen that quote, and forgotten it. Thanks for setting me straight!

Later

:wizardball: Wizard

Gonna try me some Puppy ...Yum

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:18 AM

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.
Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Edited by NickAu1, 14 November 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,032 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:36 AM

It doesn't offer an 'update' link. Firefox 30.0 for ubuntu canonical 1.0

I'm not sure what you mean by "update link." Mine doesn't have one either. As long as your computer is connected to the internet, Firefox should update automatically if you follow the steps I described.

If you don't have the Menu Bar with the Help Menu on it, then right-click whereabouts it would be, select Menu Bar, and it should appear. (You can also remove the Menu Bar after updating if you don't want it)

image-3_zps41bc5105.png

When you click on "About Firefox" this window should appear, and you should see it start to check for updates automatically and download them if it's not up to date.

image-4_zps8a3fd4d9.png

Also check under Preferences --> Advanced --> Update, and ensure that you have updates enabled.

Edited by Al1000, 14 November 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,032 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

Al, does Puppy work anyway different to what I would expect eg?

As well as having no sudo command, there is no apt-get either.

Edited by Al1000, 14 November 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#10 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll check into it later this weekend.

It doesn't search for updates, although I'm not sure if I've got it turned off. I'm not at that machine at the moment. It's on dial-up so I usually turn off auto-updates for things and just do all my updates at a nearby wi-fi.

The problem came to front when I would click on buttons (not hyperlinks) within pages and nothing would happen.

In the meantime I've been using Opera. Not too bad once you play around with it for awhile.

I know.....I'm a dinosaur user.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Some of you may not be aware that the Firefox that ships with each Distribution can vary slightly, by the arrangements made between the Distributors and Mozilla, or afterwards, placing their own stamp on things.

The situation Al1000 describes was stock standard under Windows 7 and prior (I do not know about 8 and above), and yes, if you clicked About Firefox it would automatically kick into search for update mode.

Not so for all Linux Distros. In my Linux Mint Mate, for instance, the following applies:

foywsiG.png

This is a static window and does not vary. Note the reference to Linux Mint.

With my Preferences, the following applies:

K9tZXQo.png

Only option is Search Engines, not Firefox itself. I pull down new ones using the apt-get principle, using my update script or my updateme Alias.

But given both Al and brian2009 are using Puppy, I can't likely be of further assistance until I try it out. Regrets.

Just throwing it out there, about the differences between Distros.

:wizardball: Wiz

#12 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Wizard.

You've nailed my situation exactly.

1. Clicking on About produces a very similar Static screen (with different wording ..."for ubuntu canonical 1.0" in my case.)

2. The only available automatic update is Search Engines.

I just want to get my Precise Puppy (5.7.1) back on track with a better version of Firefox. I think I probably got the wrong one via PPM, but that's what I'm stuck with.

I'm doing OK with updated Opera for now, but I'd like to get back to FF.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

To update PPM and Firefox.

Open PPM and click. Configure package manager, Then click Update, And hit enter to everything.

After it's finished In the Find box type in Firefox and hit search, When the results come up scroll to the bottom of the page, There you will find Firefox XXX is ticked as installed, Ignore that and click it, When done enjoy.

See my post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532925/reminder-to-update-puppy-linux/

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Brian try this its the latest puppy. I love it.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

I'm not sure what you mean by "update link." Mine doesn't have one either. As long as your computer is connected to the internet, Firefox should update automatically if you follow the steps I described.

+1 that's how I do it AL

Edited by NickAu1, 14 November 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#15 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks Nick.

I'll try it....but so far the only distro that handles BOTH my USB 56K modem and my USB Wi-Fi adapter has been Precise Puppy Retro 5.7.1    :/

But, I'll give it a shot and report back.

The notebook's internal wi-fi adapter is busted because when I opened up the case to fix something else I couldn't get the stupid built-in antenna connectors to connect to the wi-fi plugs inside the case....so I'm stuck using USB Wi-Fi adapters...which aren't too friendly with Linux. (Dell D620)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users