Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyway to idenfity hardware that shows as generic?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

My aunts computer was visited by the magical malware pixies as well as probably had my younger cousins doing something that caused their driver for an audio card to just completely vanish.

I've tried the minitoolbox but it didn't show anything, I used teamveiwer, windows couldn't find any generic driver nor the driver I placed in the root of the drive in a dedicated folder. They're hours away from home and I really dont want to go :P . I assume that maybe my cousins went somewhere they shouldn't have been, got the machine horribly infected and did a system restore, but I don't know how i'd check that.

So... any other way aside from having to physically drive there and open up the case? They can't open up the case, they can barely use a can opener.

Its a windows 7 64bit Os

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 12 November 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Is the computer an OEM? If it is and you can get the model number or if a Dell the service tag you can download the driver from their support site.

Is the generic device shown in Device Manager with a Yellow Exclamation Mark? If it is right click the device and select Properties. In the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. The first line shown would have the Vendor and Device ID. Using those in PCIdatabase.com can give you a clue of what the device is.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

This is a home built computer, and I forgot all about the ID section, will do.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users