Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 32-bit P.O.S. Laptop Keyboard problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kosh75287

Kosh75287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

In the process of getting my computer all virused up then getting it UN-virused, some keyboard setting(s) must have been radically changed. There's is no immediate response to my hitting (pressing, actually, but HITTING is TEMPTING. When I press the spacebar, it inserts the space  between the first and second letters of the subsequent word.  Additionally, the first lettero of the following word is              crowded against the last letter of the preceeding word, like so:

Thequickb rownf oxjumpedo vert helazyb rowndog.

Further, I can insert spaces between words by putting the cursor between them, pressing backspace then spacebar, then the first letter ofthefollowing word.

After the space is inserted, there is a pause, followed by the cursor & all keys to the right of it        scurrying to the right, as if I'd held down the space bar. This'll continue until I stop it, by pressing       either the backspace or delete keY.

The fact I that can reproduce these behaviours with every key I've tried suggests to me that it's          something uniformly affecting keyboard operations instead of random glitches. 

I've tried clean booting, deleting keyboard operators & re-installing,wiping the drive & reinstalling Windows 7.

Page Up/Down keys work, but arrow keys do not. The "w" key also seems to show up in fainter        shade than other letters.              

Recommendations?                                           

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would try an external keyboard.

Louis

#3 Kosh75287

Kosh75287
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

I'll do that, and it may solve the problem for me while I'm in the office or at home. But it would compromise the portability of the unit, which is of considerable importance. If my computer DOES work okay with an external keyboard, does that suggest that there's a problem with the integral keyboard, and not the drivers?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes, but your problem is more likely to be with the drivers !  However using an external keyboard will settle the question one way or the other. If you still get this lagging typing - it's software. If you find yourself turned into a flawless touch typist - it's the keyboard !

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any problem symbols against your keyboard ?  Click 'Start', RIGHT click on 'Computer', click on 'Properties' and, in the screen that opens, you will see 'Device manager' in the top left hand corner. This lists all the hardware on your system and shows any problem areas with a symbol like a yellow exclamation mark. Expanding the list you should come to an entry 'HID keyboard device'. If it has an exclamation mark against it, double click on it and the properties box will open. Here, if there is a problem, you can select 'Uninstall drivers'. Select this and click your way through the sequence and you will uninstall the keyboard drivers. At this point your keyboard will stop working all together. Shut the computer down using the mouse nd re-boot. The keyboard drivers will re-install on booting up.

If it is the keyboard, laptop keyboards are not usually too difficult to replace. If you look on YouTube for your model you will almost certainly find at least one video on how to do it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users