Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Party

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

Ok so this summer I will be hosting a LAN Party... I am going to get a form set up on a website soon... now the thing is with all this information (names, equipment there bringing, contact info...) what is the best way to make a database that I can store this on...

I also want to be able the day of the LAN just to type in the name of someone and have there sheet pop up so I can see if they have paid and all that...

I would like this to be free if possible... I have openoffice.org installed and I don't have M$ Office installed (I don't got 350 bucks lying around).

I saw this at a rental place and that had a database that was in a like DOS format and they typed your name in and what you had rented and stuffed showed up... Is this easy to do?? That is basically kind of the think I want but to keep track of gamers that are coming, if they paid in advance, and contact info basically and maybe some other stuff...

Edited by Klinkaroo, 15 June 2006 - 06:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:32 PM

I am afraid that the rental place had a special programme running, which would be rather difficult to do for something like this. Your best get would be to put it on a spreadsheet or database (OpenOffice.org has, of course, both in its suite) and keep it manually updated. With some effort, you could program the output to more or less reflect what you want.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

Ok, but is getting a custom program all that expensive and/or easy to do...

I am pretty computer savy, know HTML so programming languages I can understand...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:31 AM

Writing (or having it coded) an application for a relatively simple project, and for a one-time use, would not be very cost-effective. I doubt that HTML would be of much help, unless to format output on a web page.
I am not an expert on programming outside of the mainframe languages, but I suspect that VBasic would do the trick.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Well we would reuse the program for all our lan events so if it cost example 75 bucks it's worth it...

#6 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Just use a spreadsheet with the columns you need ie date, first name, last name, amount paid etc make sure you have a column for a unique ID number for each person.

Then on another sheet in the same workbook but a different sheet use the vlookup formula (or equivalent) to search the table. for each field (so you can search for each field)

When you have enough data, this can easily be put it most databases by importing the tables. But a spreadsheet is the easiest an cheapest way to do it. I can whip them up in minutes.

Sorry if this means nothing to you, but someone out there might be able to explain it better than me.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

Yeah I understand most of it just not the vlookup formula...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users