Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Books

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions of good, thorough books on malware or anti-malware that they'd like to share with me? Any suggestions are welcome as long as the books are comprehensive, explanatory, and overall excellent quality. :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:17 AM

Hey Elendil,

I don't know about in the US but in bookstores here in England there are no books solely on malware; there are a few which have about 10 pages on it, but not worth buying. On the internet however, it's a different story. I found the following books on Amazon.com which you might find interesting.

Malware: Fighting Malicious Code (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013101405...glance&n=283155

Trojans, Worms, and Spyware : A Computer Security Professional's Guide to Malicious Code
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075067848...glance&n=283155

PC Magazine Fighting Spyware, Viruses, and Malware
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076457769...glance&n=283155

Hope that helps.
David

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

So much happens each month in regards to spyware, that books become outdated before they are published. There is a parallel with, for example, modern science or historiography in that much of the real work (research and discussion) is done in analogous forms to scholarly journals.
The question therefore concerns what, in the case of malware, are the best sites on the internet, since that is where, and not surprisingly given the nature of the subject, most of the information is to be found?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

Even outdated information is ok with me. For instance, let's say there's a book solely on the CWS Trojan. It gives a detailed analysis on the current 1000 some variations. Regardless of how many new variations come out, for my purpose, I need only a book that comprehensively covers a family or varient of malware at the moment. If you're curious about why I'd like this information, it's for my science fair and that'll be all I'm saying until my project is done :thumbsup:. In regards to the books you've listed D-Trojanator, thanks! I've already read through PC World's book and it was pretty interesting, but suprisingly I've self-learned much of the info. I'm looking at the other books now, so thanks! In regards to your statement jgweed, what are the most informative sites on malware in your opinion?

Also, magazines that talk about the current research and studies in computer security would be a boost too. I've already gotten my hands on the ACM Magazine Issue about spyware.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users