Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the ramifications for not updating everytime

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

I swear it seems like every other week microsoft has another thirty updates that are "highly recommended". Seems like all it does is take up memory instead of writing over what needs to be written over(I'm not a computer savvy person so I don't know if this makes sense). If I update all my antivirus, spyware, firewall etc. shouldn't I be alright?  thanx

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 07:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

I swear it seems like every other week microsoft has another thirty updates that are "highly recommended". Seems like all it does is take up memory instead of writing over what needs to be written over(I'm not a computer savvy person so I don't know if this makes sense). If I update all my antivirus, spyware, firewall etc. shouldn't I be alright?  thanx

Antivirus software keeps viruses out of your system but it doesn't fix vulnerabilities in the system itself. Microsoft discovers potential problems all the time with the OS, office software, security, drivers etc. So yes, updates are very important. Some security threats are so bad that they expose the system that a hacker could gain remote shell control over your system. Many are browser driven and by going to a malicous website and simply having a unpatch Java could allow them to exploit that and gain entry. So keeping all software updated is crucial. IE: Browser updates, Adobe Flash, Java, Microsoft updates, Office suite. Anything that would access the outside WWW internet. Yes, the downside of updating some of these things can also increase memory useage and Hard drive space. So pc's also need to be updated with hardware to keep up with the demands.

Edited by technonymous, 12 November 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:23 PM

First off, thank you for the reply. In the PC it would make sense to add more memory to, but in a laptop? Is this easily possible?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

First off, thank you for the reply. In the PC it would make sense to add more memory to, but in a laptop? Is this easily possible?

Actually it's a lot easier in a laptop than a desktop. Typically there is only one screw to remove the panel on the bottom exposing the memory dimms. However, is some cases depending on the make model that might not be as easy and some may require a little more tear down than usual. I wasn't intentially suggesting more memory, just saying as things progress these days older systems tend to bog down. These programs nowdays take massive ammounts of memory. The best solution is to get more dual channel memory and memory with faster timmings if at all possible.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Seems like all it does is take up memory instead of writing over what needs to be written over(I'm not a computer savvy person so I don't know if this makes sense).

I think you are confusing memory with the space on your hard drive.  Anything stored in memory (or RAM) is volatile.  E.g. everything is deleted from your RAM when you turn off your computer.  In contrast, anything stored on your hard drive is usually stored there until, say, you delete it.  In the case of updates from Microsoft these would be patches to the Windows operating system.  Therefore these updates (or patches) would cause the system to take up more hard drive space not memory.

Based on the aforementioned, is it more memory you want to add or a bigger hard drive?

That said, you should always keep the Operating System (i.e. Windows) fully patched.  As technonymous said, as new security "holes" are discovered all the time.  Not applying Windows updates will leave your system vulnerable.

Edited by Agouti, 12 November 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Microsoft releases updates the second Tuesday of the month.  Occasionally they release an out of band patch for hot issues.  These should be installed as not installing them can result in your machine being compromised.  While these files will take up space on your hard drive this is normally not an issue in today's drives. If your are having a drive space issues you can either remove unneeded items from the hard drive or purchase a larger drive.  For a computer novice removing items would be my recommendation.

Take a look at My Computer and see how much free space you have on your C: drive.  If the drive has a blue bar and is not red you should have plenty of space available.

#7 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

Okay so it's validated that this will never end and updates/patches will keep on coming and I accept(with a bit of skepticism) the fact that they are integral. Yes it is the hard drive that is my main concern; I am wondering how easy it is to expand it without distrupting original files? And if I don't have my original windows disks can I just use a backup CD?

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:43 AM

Please follow this guide and post the publish snapshot link back here so we can take a look at the hardware specs. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Since there is no original discs you may still have a hidden partition with a factory backup. With certain software from the vendor it might be possible to create a DVD set of that image. However, it would be a factory default image and you would still need an external source to store your personal files. Any programs installed would be lost doing it that way. The best solution would be to clone the entire HD and partitions to another new larger HD, but that would also require a special USB adapter tool. Then once the transfer is completed remove the internal HD and swap it with the new cloned HD. I am not sure if you're capable of taking on that task. If not it would be best to have someone you know do it, or take it to local shop and get a quote. There are some free cloning software out there, unless others have another suggestion. http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

#9 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:49 AM

I like the option of cloning although it does sound a bit challenging. I'm sure I'm better off asking someone or service to do this for me. Cost wise it'd be more effective to that then buy the equipment on my own except for the added HD. Makes sense and is kinda cool. Wondering though, in turn, is Ram added as well typically. I'm sure a lot has to do with the system itself, but my question is it possible to run the same ram with a larger HD?

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yes, the memory is ok. However, not knowing the make/model specs of your laptop we can't determine what your laptop can be upgraded to as far as memory or hd goes. That's why I suggested posting a speccy snapshot report in post #8. Upgrading memory and a HD will give you the most bang. I do suggest taking it to someone you may know or a shop. Some laptops you can even upgrade the cpu, but it's not very common. Most cpu's are soldered on the board these days. It all depends on the make and model age of the laptop etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users