Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing Elderly Person From Getting Infected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

There is a person that I and another person have been trying to help and cannot think of any other ways to keep her from getting infected. She's not the brightest on occasions as she'll just quickly give her credit card infomation to every single program asking for it.

So far we've tried

1. AVG Free (w/ ask me before removing infections not checked)

2. Malwarebytes Premium

3. OpenDNS

4. Setting her as a standard user

She does nothing but gripe, blaming us for her infections, and its driving us nuts, we've suggested a chromebook or linux since she does everything online but absolutely refuses because she quotes "Google is out to get our information and I heard on the news that these companies are trying to use it to take over each and everyone one of our lives" (so... chromebook is out of the question... ) I know linux isn't 100% secure, but in her case, it would hopefully help prevent her from burning through her bank account buying the super speedy blow up my pc programs.

Any little suggestions will help, thank you

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 12 November 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

It sounds like it is not so much an issue with her computer habits but more so her internet surfing. I can recommend creating a Firewall so that she can be blocked off the websites that would solicit her money and information. 

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

She's not the brightest on occasions as she'll just quickly give her credit card infomation to every single program asking for it.

This is done by removing the credit card details from her hands ...... not by adding extra programs.

If the lady can not be stopped from giving out her details, then she has a personal problem and not a computer problem !!

There are people that should not have access to credit cards, this can only be fixed by removal of the internet or the computer.

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:35 PM

:hysterical: We've had the same thoughts as well, anyways thanks for the input :P

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

:hysterical: We've had the same thoughts as well, anyways thanks for the input :P

Sorry, but this was the only suitable reply for this situation.

Give her a credit card with no numbers (or similar) was my first thought .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users