Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 won't boot, normally or in safe mode, system recovery fails

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dharmanos

dharmanos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

I've read through the forums but can't find anything that will help me out. Seems like this is a very specific case.

I have an HP HPE 450t windows 7 PC. It has 2 mirrored hard drives.

During normal boot the "Starting Windows" screen flashes on for a few seconds, them the screen goes black and the PC reboots.

On reboot it asks to go into repair mode. I've tried all of the system recovery options except reinstall widows but still cant boot. Startup repair reports it can't fix the problem. None of the 7 system restore points will actually complete the restore procedure.

I can't boot in any of the safe modes.

Boot logging does not produce the ntbtlog.txt file.

I've run chkdsk

I can boot an ubuntu live CD and read the windows files.

From ubuntu I replaced the registery files with the backed up versions from a few days before the problem started but still can't boot or make use of the system recovery options.

The last thing I did prior to the problem was an adobe update.  I had some malware a few weeks earlier but I thought I cleaned it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 11:05 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

Have you tried booting into "Last known Good Configuration" ?

If you don't know how, just tap the F8 button a bunch of times when your computer starts (generally after you see your computers logo ) until the menu comes up with all the different options.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 12 November 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 dharmanos

dharmanos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

I've tried that too. Still won't boot.

#4 dharmanos

dharmanos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

Since it seemed to partially load the OS I didn't suspect the MBR but out of desperation in followed the MBR fix procedure at https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/#Fix_the_MBR_in_Windows_7

And the system boots.

Now running Malwarebytes and found PUP.Optional.loadshop and Trojan.FakeMS and SearchProtectA

I hope I'll be good once these are cleaned up

Edited by dharmanos, 12 November 2014 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users