Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1: Chrome pinned to start screen opens second instance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia421

Cecilia421

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi,

So, I've posted this on the Chrome forum and I haven't had any replies in over a week. I just thought I'd try here just in case somebody knows what's going on and how to fix it.

Basically, the Chrome shortcut pinned to the Start screen (Metro) opens a new instance of Chrome even if there's already an instance running. It used to go to the open instance; it just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I have un-pinned and re-pinned, uninstalled/reinstalled, tested it with Firefox to see if it's just Chrome. It also happens when I pin the shortcut to the taskbar, but if I open an instance and pin that instance to the taskbar, then I can close it and it will function as a shortcut that opens a new instance or goes to the running instance.

I don't know if any of that mess makes sense, but if it does and you know how I can fix this, I would be incredibly grateful for advice. This is really driving me nuts. If I have time later, I'll try to post a screen capture to clarify what I'm trying to describe.

**EDIT** Here's a screen capture to try to show you what I mean: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B597ZFKg82RdM1ZkQkFrZnZOVkU/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks!

Edited by Cecilia421, 12 November 2014 - 10:01 AM.

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards."
- Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users