Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 using unusual amount of bandwidth

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ranger007

Ranger007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi there,

I have recently bought a new computer with an windows 8.1 operating sytem.

Everything worked just fine until I changed my internet service provider.

My previous ISP was an uncapped service where I didnt have to monitor my bandwith usage to seriously.

My new ISP has a capped data plan & since then I started to monitor my bandwidth usage.

Here's the problem. It seems to me that after I wake up my PC from sleep mode it suddenly shows me that I have downloaded more than 1 GB.

This has happened a numerous amount of times, thus I have turned off all my automatic updates,windows live tiles, windows mail etc

but yet it still keeps on downlaoding unusual amounts of data..?

I have also attached a image showing my usage over the past 11 days (since I changed ISP)

Days like the 2nd 3rd or 8th of the month seemed to produce a correct amount of usage unlike all the other days of the month.

Could it be that I have a virus on my sytem that uses up all my bandwidth?

Any help or recommendations will be highly apreciated?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

1. Open the Task Manager:
    • Right Click on your taskbar, and click on "Task Manager"
    • Or, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
  2. Head over to the Performance tab.
  3. Click on "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom.

qN0k0.jpg

Leave it running and opened for at least 1h, then check under Network tab which process is using most bandwith to pinpoint where all that goes :). Reply here with process name or better upload a screenshot, please use sorting by total usage we are looking the one with largest number.

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 04:43 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users