Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optimizing new laptop for bare essentials

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noserave

noserave

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hello I just got a new aspire 5251-1513 and wanted some help setting up this computer. I would like to remove all the bloatware and unnecessary programs/files, and strip windows 7 to the bare minimum to optimize computer performance. I'd then like to download all necessary programs for my personal use and create a restore point to save everything.

For the bloatware I've noticed a freeware called Decrap. http://www.decrap.org/ is this any good? I've also read a few forums about stripping and tuning windows 7 for speed, but would like personalized help.

I'd like to set the laptop up for anonymous web browsing, torrenting, streaming media, and online gaming.

My most used programs would be a VPN service, Tor, chrome (haven't researched a better browser,) BitTorrent program, and league of legends.

If anyone is interested in guiding me through optimizing my laptop please let me know where to start.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2014 - 01:24 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Decrap has a registry cleaner. BC doesn't recommend the use of any registry cleaner.

Suggest installing CCleaner. Pay attention while installing and be sure to UNcheck offers of toolbars such as Yahoo and Google.

After installing click on Tools and then choose Uninstall. At the bottom of that page is a button when clicked on will allow you to

copy and paste the list of installed programs back here. Please do that.

Then click on Tools again and choose Startups. Use same procedure to copy and paste that list back here.

Run a scan using CCleaner to cleanup ALL cookies, temporary files, logs, etc.

Install and run scans using the three programs below.

• download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR REVIEW.

Suggest using Firefox and the two best add-ons.....NoScript and Adblock Plus.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox   Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Be aware that using P2Ps/ Bit Torrent to download free, pirated, hacked software is one of the most risky/ dangerous things

you can do on the web. And many times illegal.

wiki Guide on How to Use Tor With Firefox

Most free software these days come with adware. There is one site that hosts downloads of many popular programs

that is free of adware....it is free to use and it will even handle updating of the programs it installs if you elect to do that.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Edited by buddy215, 12 November 2014 - 08:31 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,495 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

I do a lot of this for users' computers. This is a pet peeve for me, I hate the garbageware that these manufacturers load on new systems.

Go into Remove Programs (in Control Panel) and that will list all the programs installed on your computer. Carefully look for anything that isn't part of Windows and that you did not install. Anything you do not recognize you can do a search on and get lots of information. These junkware programs will try to intimidate you by using verbage that makes you think they are a part of Windows and you will damage your computer if removed. I can't remember all the ones that are commonly used, but some are Open Candy, various "free" games (pay attention to those, most of them include adware), various download managers, "registry cleaners" ( as Buddy said above, I have never seen one of these that eventually didn't damage the registry), any "try & buy" programs (Norton Symantec AV is notorious for this, after a time limit it will start to nag you to subscribe. If you don't it will stop updating but will still load on boot and waste sytem resources, I take versions that aren't working any more off clients' computers all the time). Go into your Explore/Programs and x86 Programs directories and look for flakey names there. Sometimes they aren't listed in Remove Programs.

Another thing to watch out for are BHOs and Toolbars. If you want top performance, remove them all. Internet Explorer will load from 3 to 7 entries on startup, I remove them all the time. Each toolbar and BHO that you have running takes memory load and clock cycles off the CPU to keep it running, and does absolutely nothing to help you. I use Hijack This to expose all the junkware running on my computer. Unfortunately, CCleaner and other utilities do not remove all the toolbars and BHOs loading, you need something pretty serious.

Here are some really good programs that will help. I suggest you study these very carefully and use cautiously, you can damage your system. But....they are no-nonsense, serious analyzers:

Comodo Autoruns - I think you will have to install Comodo free firewall to get this, I cannot find an independent download for it. This is a great program, you can find it in the Comodo Firewall root directory with a small icon. Just place a shortcut on your desktop and it will run independently.

Autoruns - Free from Microsoft, this will list many of the programs loading on boot. Enable the Hide Windows System Files to make the list easier to read.

Hijack This - This used to be used for virus removal but is outdated now. However, it is excellent for listing all the BHOs and Toolbars, as well as entries in the RUN hives in the registry. It will give you a ton of information.

Hope this helps.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 noserave

noserave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

@buddy215 here are the logs you requested.

# AdwCleaner v4.101 - Report created 12/11/2014 at 21:50:58
# Updated 09/11/2014 by Xplode
# Database : 2014-11-07.1 [Local]
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium  (64 bits)
# Username : Godrick - CHOGATH
# Running from : C:\Users\Godrick\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

[#] Service Deleted : Partner Service

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

[!] Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\Partner
File Deleted : C:\Users\Public\Desktop\eBay.lnk

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\kt_bho_dll.dll
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\kt_bho.KettleBho
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\kt_bho.KettleBho.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\protector_dll.protectorbho.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{28A88B70-D874-4F73-BBBA-9B2B222FB7D6}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{86676E13-D6D8-4652-9FCF-F2047F1FB000}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{83FF80F4-8C74-4B80-B5BA-C8DDD434E5C4}
Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\0FF2AEFF45EEA0A48A4B33C1973B6094
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\GoogleUpdate.exe

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.7600.16385

-\\ Google Chrome v38.0.2125.122

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2209 octets] - [12/11/2014 21:27:48]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [2267 octets] - [12/11/2014 21:46:13]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [2220 octets] - [12/11/2014 21:50:58]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [2280 octets] ##########

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.3.7 (11.08.2014:1)
Ran by Godrick on Wed 11/12/2014 at 22:03:37.65

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key - Orphan] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key - Orphan] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key - Orphan] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key - Orphan] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB}

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on Wed 11/12/2014 at 22:09:05.84
End of JRT log

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 11/12/2014
Scan Time: 10:23:38 PM
Logfile: mbam.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.3.1025
Malware Database: v2014.11.13.02
Rootkit Database: v2014.11.12.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Godrick

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 305809
Time Elapsed: 28 min, 45 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:25 AM

You can use PC Decrapifier
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/pc-decrapifier/

I've used it several times to get rid of pre-installed bloatware. It does not contain a registry cleaner. All it does is remove the programs you don't want. It gives you the option of marking multiple programs for uninstall if you don't want to do them one by one.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:18 AM

What about the list of installed programs and the list of startups that I asked to be posted using CCleaner Tools?

Just to be clear...the program that Queen-Evie is suggesting you use is a different program from the one you linked

to in the opening post.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 noserave

noserave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

What about the list of installed programs and the list of startups that I asked to be posted using CCleaner Tools?

Just to be clear...the program that Queen-Evie is suggesting you use is a different program from the one you linked

to in the opening post.e list of installed and startup programs using CCleaner?

I'm not sure I followed your directions and posted what I had, can you run me through it again? How do I find the list of installed and startup programs using CCleaner?

Edited by noserave, 17 November 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:24 AM

Suggest installing CCleaner. Pay attention while installing and be sure to UNcheck offers of toolbars such as Yahoo and Google.

After installing click on Tools and then choose Uninstall. At the bottom of that page is a button when clicked on will allow you to

copy and paste the list of installed programs back here. Please do that.

Then click on Tools again and choose Startups. Use same procedure to copy and paste that list back here.

Run a scan using CCleaner to cleanup ALL cookies, temporary files, logs, etc.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users