Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Equivalent Amd Vs Intel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ahmo

ahmo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

while shopping for various products, in the specs they often say, for example, "System Requirements: Pentium IV processor 1.2 GHz or faster". how, or where, does one find out what other brand processors equate to those specs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

IIRC, even the slowest AMD Athlon or Sempron would be able to handle that easily

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

it can be confusing though cant it to someone who dosent know a lot about how chips work and their manufacturer's nomenclature. the AMD 3000+ chip runs at 2000mhz. the AMD duron 1200 runs at 1200mhz. it does sound strange. what the amd 3000+ does is that though it runs at a clock speed of 2000mhz it can perform at the same rate as a pentium at 3000mhz. what processor would you be referring to? yours? post back and we can give you more insight as to its specifications, i can find you a website that descibes muchos better than what i did, about how they work.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 ahmo

ahmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

thanks for the replies!

i have an AMD Duron 1600MHz and am wondering how that equates to intel cpu's, specifically the Pentium IV processor 1.2 GHz i mentioned

also, it would be nice to have a web site reference for the future

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

thanks for the replies!

i have an AMD Duron 1600MHz and am wondering how that equates to intel cpu's, specifically the Pentium IV processor 1.2 GHz i mentioned

also, it would be nice to have a web site reference for the future

the Duron is more inline with the Intel Celerons than the Pentium IV
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...%5E1042,00.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

Although the speed of your chip is 'equivalent' to a 1.6Ghz chip, the lack of whats called L2 cache means that it doesnt have the oomph that the Pentium 4/Athlon has.

I would say that a celeron 2Ghz has roughly the same performance as a 1.2Ghz Pentium 4
The Durons have always been weak in my opinion and topped out at 1.8 GHz and they were supposed to be equivalent to the celerons.

Ignore the minimum specs for most things. As long as your RAM is more than the minimum, you can supplement a weaker processor using more RAM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

The Processor Scorecard:
http://www.cpuscorecard.com/index.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users