Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet speeds throttle when 1 specific computer in house streams video

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Subzero_22

Subzero_22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

Hello friends. I'm really hoping someone can lend me some of their expertise to help me solve a problem. I recently moved into a buddies house. We're noticing a trend, that frequently when he streams on his computer, our internet will pretty much crash. It will start taking minutes to load websites. Other computers in the home that stream DO NOT do this. We have tried 2 different network cards, but swapping that didn't fix anything. We have replaced our entire network setup (new router, modem) in the process of fixing another issue. Perhaps what's going on is something we can adjust within our routers settings? I would be happy to share any information I can from the computer or network, but this is a situation that I've never dealt with before so I wouldn't even know what to post. If anyone has any hunch or lead, please let me know, whenever he streams I'm screwed. Thank you for your time!

Edited by Subzero_22, 12 November 2014 - 03:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

Does the same thing happen if he accesses the same stream from another machine?

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

So his streaming is fine but the rest of the PC's connections slow down to a crawl?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

You would want to engage the QoS feature on the router and give all connections a equal share of the total bandwidth.

#5 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

I concur with Wand3r3r, his machine is favoured in the routers Quality of Service (QoS) settings, who set the router up btw?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users