Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network adapter recognized - no connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyd11

bradleyd11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:18 AM

I recently bought a wireless network adapter for my desktop. I installed the driver and utilities and windows say that it is working and recognizes that it is in place. However, I can't use it to connect to the internet and the USB installer itself fails. I'm not sure what steps to take from here. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:35 AM

Can you detect the SSID of the WAP?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Make and model of the adapter ?  Operating system ?

Some of these devices can be very fussy about the install sequence. I would be inclined to fully uninstall it and re-install it, checking with the install guide that I am doing it in the correct sequence.

Once you have it installed correctly clicking on the wi-fi symbol at the right hand end of the taskbar should bring up a list of routers within range. Check that your is on this list, then click on it and tick the box 'Connect automatically' then click 'Connect'. Assuming you are using WEP or WPA-PSK security (much preferable WPA-PSK) then enter your password and you should be connected. Any further problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users