Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting my Desktop and driving me crazy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bradleyd11

bradleyd11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

I just pulled my desktop out of storage, again, and am trying to get it going. I had issues with it shutting off while playing games and shelved it out of frustration but want to get it back up. I've been having a few issues and can't figure out what to try next. 

I recently reformatted it with a new copy of windows 7 just so I can have a clean slate. Even this, however, is giving me issues. With a brand new install it is having trouble starting up windows and locked up the second time I started it. I'm starting to wonder that the hard drive itself might be bad. I've replaced the power source twice thinking that might be the issue but so far it hasn't helped. 

I really don't want to scrap my desktop, but am feeling that it isn't worth the frustration. 

On a side note, it takes a good five to ten minutes to go through shutdown. About 25% of the time my mouse and keyboard won't power on with the computer. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hard drive would be the first guess for the issues you're having on a fresh format.

#3 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Seems like a HDD problem to me as well. Any chance that your noticing the HDD access LED is staying on longer then you would expect during basic operations?

#4 bradleyd11

bradleyd11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

Looks like I'll be breaking out a backup drive. I was also getting the blue screen with power drive failure. Here's hoping its just hard drive.

#5 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

I noticed that you said the PC would just shut down while playing games.  This can result from overheating...heat can also cause "freezing up" as well.  Make sure there is plenty of thermal compound between then CPU and heatsink, and check to make sure the CPU fan is spinning good.

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:00 AM

Make sure there is plenty of thermal compound between then CPU and heatsink

Incorrect, "plenty" of thermal compound is counter-effective to heat conductivity. Only a pea-sized drop is required. OP's issue is most likely HDD or perhaps PSU (lets hope its one of those only).

mYIGVc5.png

#7 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Yes, I should have said "sufficient" rather than "plenty."  I have personally seen fresh compound and a new fan make a difference... providing the CPU has not suffered from thermal damage....so yes, because of heat...it could be the CPU.  To rule out CPU completely is also unwise.

Yes, it could be the hard drive as well, but a defective hard drive does not typically cause a sudden shutdown.  Defective PS units can cause all kinds of malfunctions, but the most typical are either not providing enough wattage for the PC to run properly in the first place, or they do not power up at all.

Might look the motherboard over for any bulging capacitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users