Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd behavior, trying to pin down the issue and cause and find a possible fix...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

Think it's server related with network names changing at each pc. A previous technician tried creating a new network name. But throughout the day names of personal computers and iPad devices change back and forth. Old connection name is slower for network. Overall trying to pin down what the issue could be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:59 PM

Do the actual computer names change, or just their identity on the network?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

According to the information I was given the names change - though it could be a case of their identity on the network.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Assuming this is a domain network how many servers do you have and what roles are assigned to each?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

Well the individual that wants this issue looked into says there is one server he knows of - small chiropractor office. Sadly I am only being given the most basic information about the issue the individual is having.

#6 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

If I learn more tomorrow I will post what I find out.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

sounds dns related, i dind it odd that the computer names would eb changing because that requires a restart and the SID of the machine would eb changed in AD so this makes me think its DNS.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:35 AM

That's what I was thinking Johnny, If scavenging hasn't been performed there is likely old dns entries in the server. It could also be if he changed the "network name" and did not join the computers to the "new" domain that could cause issues as well. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

Got some new information - Server is possible Windows Small Business Server 2008.  Seems that last month after a Microsoft update, a few days past and the client computers started responding slowly.  The tech came in and created a new network for the computers to connect on the server - which corrected the issue... somewhat.  One computer does not log into the network automatically - also it will create its own network.  When it does log in, once it goes into safe mode and comes out it has forgotten the network.  On top of this issue, every computer that signs in asks if the New Network should be saved as Work, Home, or Public Network.  Everytime.  So the settings are not being saved by the sounds of it.  SO Could this be the need to scavenge the DNS records to correct the issue with one computer? Or should the one computer be removed and re-added to the server? And what about the constant issues of first login asking for network type to be saved?  Exactly what happened here?  It seems like improper creation of network and re-adding the computers said network.  Since I am unfamiliar with their network, I suggested they take my educated guess to their IT person to see if it will help, but to contact me if there is a need for further brainstorming.

Edited by Toten0Maske, 12 November 2014 - 09:32 AM.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Exactly what did this tech do to create this new "network"?  Rename the domain?

Computer names don't change by themselves which begs the question of how are you determining these machine names are changing?  Using ping or nslookup?

#11 Toten0Maske

Toten0Maske
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

According to the Tech he simply created a new Network for the clients - which I believe he is implying a new name. When he first did this the old computers were trying to connect to the old network initially, so he deleted all traces to that network (or rather domain from my standpoint). The issue originally told to me is that the computers change their name. But in reality it seems that they lose connection to the network and create a new network on their own. One computer is he main culprit by the sounds of it, once it goes to sleep and wakes up it cannot access the network and refuses to access the new network/domain. The other computers apparently work fine except for not keeping the classifying of the network/domain as work upon restart.

#12 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm with Sneakycyber on this... JohnnyJammer is close as well..

It really does sound dns related. Probably if the is a reverse dns zone set up in your dns, then it may well have some very old records in it (multiple names against each IP address). Setting up scavenging on the server and all zones will eventually sort it out.

If clients get reattached to the domain, by removing them from the domain totally and then rejoining them, the SID (of the computer object in AD) will change and the new identity of the computer will be unable to delete old records registered by it previous identity.

Minor correction to something johnnyJammer said.. Renaming a computer will not change its SID in AD, as long is it is not dis-joined from the domain in the process...

As it's SBS 2008, I doubt that other name resolution methods (wins) would be interfering.

x64

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

If the tech created a new domain all work stations have to be rejoined to the domain.  Appears this did not happen.  That is not creating a new "network".  It really sounds like the tech left things worse than before.

" One computer is he main culprit by the sounds of it, once it goes to sleep and wakes up it cannot access the network and refuses to access the new network/domain."

This is silly.  It is a simple and well known fix of disable power management on the network interface to have this behavior stop.

" But in reality it seems that they lose connection to the network and create a new network on their own."

This would only happen if they couldn't reach the dhcp server [SBS] and ended up with a apipa ip address [169.254.x.x].  They wouldn't have internet or server access.

All of this is conjecture though since we really don't have any facts to work with.  Perhaps a ipconfig /all from the server and a workstation could be provided which will tell us more about the configuration.

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

yes X64, didnt have much info to go off when i commented lol so thought they where being rejoined!.

Anyway i think he is talking about setting up a new DHCP scope.

thats why they forget the network portion, so basically the IT fella should have created the proper DNS settings in the DHCP scope and allowed authenticated devices to set the dns records otherwise you will be a busy fellow doing it manually.

make sure he set the basic ones up like 003 (Router), 006 (DNS Server), 015 (DNS Domain name (fully qualified domain name)), 044 (WINS optional), _

069 (SMTP)

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 12 November 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

A simple test: do a nslookup SBSname from a workstation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users