Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NickMcNack

NickMcNack

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

I have an Nvidea GeForce GT 630 and I'm looking to get something better. I don't need anything super advanced like the 900 series. Just a cheaper one that would be a step up from the one I'm using.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Really depends on what your budget is.

You can get a 770 which is a significant step up for about $290 off newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770

If that is out of your budget then there are other cards you can look at, but that would be my recommendation to start with.

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:15 PM

What is the card for, and what is your budget? Very hard to recommend something without knowing your current build to (bottle-necks and such).

mYIGVc5.png

#4 NickMcNack

NickMcNack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

The 770 actually sounds like what I'm looking for. It's definitely within my budget as well, trying for $300 or below.

Also the card is going to be used for better gaming. My card that I have now runs most games pretty well but there are some that I want to play that don't run too well, or I need to lower the quality to run them faster.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 546, AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz, 2G of RAM on a 64 bit Windows 7 OS. The computer just turned 4 recently.

I was unsure if I should get a new graphics card, or just buy a new computer entirely. I'm just really bad when it comes to hardware and wasn't really certain on what computers would be a good match for what I need and not cost a grand or more.

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

If you have a decently good budge of over 1 grand, I would say, then a new build would be much better. Not only is that a pre-built, but it would mean that the motherboard, CPU and RAM are all a bit low-graded for most medium-high graphic games. It's really up to you. Please remember that even if you had a GTX980 SLI, or something as good, on that build, your CPU and RAM would surely bottleneck your performance.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

IMHO, if you are going to get something as powerful as a GTX 770, you should get a completely new computer.  Here is why I think that:

1) The computer has a 300w PSU, which will definitely need upgrading anyway (a 600w high quality PSU at a minimum) to take a card like that.  Also the card requires two PCIe power connectors.

2) The GPU is probably too powerful for the rest of it to make full use of it.  In other words it will be bottlenecked.

3) The longer GTX 770 card's may be a struggle to fit in the case...  The cards are mostly around 27 cm long (11").  Looking at pictures I think the drive cage will be in the way.

If you are looking for a quick upgrade without spending too much, I think a GTX 750 Ti and a RAM upgrade may be a better option.  It should work on the existing power supply, and is a small single slot card.  Nonetheless it is significantly faster and more powerful than a GT630.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 November 2014 - 10:38 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 NickMcNack

NickMcNack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

Right. I was thinking it might be easier for just a new computer. Let's say with a budget of 1,000 at most, what would you recommend?

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Self built or pre built?

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 NickMcNack

NickMcNack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:05 PM

Pre-built would be ideal.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

Well, I have no experience of this company, and no idea if they're any good, but I've seen a few others mention ibuypower.  They seem to have decent prices on custom built desktops.  I had a look and you could put together something like a Core i5 or AMD FX eight core with a GTX760 GPU, 8Gb RAM etc. for that sort of money through them.

You'd probably be better off getting others recommendations though as I'm more of a build it yourself type :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:14 AM

I've heard DigitalStorm does an excellent job for a decent price. They'll do an assortment of customary stuff for you. I think they only ship in US and Canada though.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/gaming-desktops.asp

Edited by Ezzah, 15 November 2014 - 12:14 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#12 NickMcNack

NickMcNack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thanks to the both of you! I looked on DigitalStorm and saw they had a desktop called the Vanquish II that was within my budget and looked like a huge upgrade from my current computer.

Specs:
- AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
- AMD FX-4300 CPU
- 8GB 1600MHz Memory
- 500GB 7200RPM HDD
- ASUS 760G Chipset Motherboard
- 430W Corsair CX Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Microsoft Windows 8.1

The only downside I can really see is that it comes with Windows 8 haha 

Any opinions?

#13 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Only downsides, are perhaps the small PSU and the small HDD. Depends on your games, but a lot of them these days can stretch up to 30GB, which will chew up space really quickly. Depends on your budget or if you want to stretch it a little bit more.

The Power supply will work for that, especially since its a pre-built and been tested, but might not have much room for upgrading for later.

mYIGVc5.png

#14 NickMcNack

NickMcNack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

True. Probably better off shelling out a couple hundred extra, the $859 model will give me a 1TB HDD and a 600W Power Supply, not to mention an improved GPU.

#15 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:08 AM

Yes, now that would be much better. That actually wouldn't be too bad for the money, being a pre-built.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users