Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server AD replication overhead

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fardooste

Fardooste

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

How much overhead is there when forcing replication over a few servers? WAN lines are fatter now than they used to be. I wrote a powershell script to force every server to replicate. I haven't noticed any slowdown. Am I correct that this holdover from 10+ years ago is no longer a big deal? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yeah mate its bugger all now and with using RDC helps as well.

Not sure why you would use a powershell script when repadmin does the same thing, anyway sites and services should eb the place you want to set replications times. I set mine to 15 minutes but depending on dns transferes you might want to make it more but i have bugger all users thatn eed to know an ip in another location.

If you are not sure, use repadmin comamnds to check the latecny or failed attempts.

This shows all replication using the More comamnd as the screen scrolls a lot depending on DFS name spaces.

repadmin /showrepl * | more

This one will show you the time differance and shows updates.

repadmin /replsum *

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 11 November 2014 - 10:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users