Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system info

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

im new in IT im training to be a tech,one question im not sure of is - if i had a computer and i cant boot into safemode or normal windows,how can i find out if its a 32 or 64 bit operating system,if i cant boot into safemode is there another way i can find out or any tool i coulkd boot with? id appreciate yere help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

Download a linux disk like FatDog64. Burn the iso. Boot the disk. Explore the drive and if you see the folder ProgramFiles(x86) along with ProgramFiles then you have a 64bit OS. If you only see Program Files, then it would be 32bit. On the 64bit OS you would also see a Windows\SysWow64 folder. You could also put FatDog on a USB key using Rufus. Another nice disk to have is PartedMagic.

When using these on a Windows 8 computer, you would first need to disable Secureboot and Fastboot. Also you may need to enable Legacy Boot instead of UEFI. FatDog64 can boot UEFI.

#3 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:55 AM

hi thanks for that thats handy now there good ways of knowing,will that cd run on 32bit aswell or just 64? thanks alot

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

hey also if the hardrive is dead or cant access it with live cds is there another way of telling

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yes, it does not make a difference as long as the computer CPU can run a 64bit OS. If not, then use PartedMagic or Puppy linux instead of FatDog.

If the computer does not boot because of a hardware problem, then you would need to remove the drive and attach it to another computer either internally, using a USB enclosure, or a USB adapter similar to this.

If the hard drive is bad and you cannot access it then no, you cannot find the OS version.

#6 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

ok john thanks a mill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users