Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 labam99

labam99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have Windows 7 and for some reason it has completely stopped booting. Now when I turn on my computer I get a screen with two options: "Repair Computer" and "Start Windows normally". When I choose "Repair Computer", it takes me to a light blue screen and just stalls (I've left it on for all night and nothing happens), and when I choose the "Start windows normally" option I get stuck in a boot loop.

So these last couple of months I've been using a linux disk (Knoppix 7.2) to get around (It's pretty nice but I'd like to have windows 7 working)

Any idea on what could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

Something got corrupted somewhere, so...

Do you have a windows 7 disc you can boot off of?

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 labam99

labam99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

Something got corrupted somewhere, so...

Do you have a windows 7 disc you can boot off of?

I have a Windows 7 CD that came with my Alienware computer. I put that in and unfortunately, no good results to report. It just stalls (Just like it does when I choose the 'Repair Computer' option without the CD)

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

If you're able, try to download a copy of your version of windows from the link dc3 posted. It could be the media ( the dvd ) itself.

You could always try resetting the bios settings back to default and see if that helps. I believe alienware is dell... so F2, Delete, or Escape to access the bios menu. Its generally on the far right tab and will say something like "Load Optimized Defaults"

Then if that helps in anyway, please follow dc3s tutorial on startup repair

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 11 November 2014 - 11:56 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:35 AM

Please follow the directions by helper dc3 at this stage -

Thank You -

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

Hello -

Just a quick question, Is this the same topic you posted at CNET Forum (and a few others)

I have Windows 7 and for some reason it has completely stopped booting. Now when I turn on my computer I get a screen with two options: "Repair Computer" and "Start Windows normally". When I choose "Repair Computer", it takes me to a light blue screen and just stalls (I've left it on for all night and nothing happens), and when I choose the "Start windows normally" option I get stuck in a boot loop.

So these last couple of months I've been using a linux disk (Knoppix 7.2) to get around (It's pretty nice but I'd like to have windows 7 working)

Just thought it may be the reason for showing as Copy / Paste question-

#8 labam99

labam99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hello -

Just a quick question, Is this the same topic you posted at CNET Forum (and a few others)

Just thought it may be the reason for showing as Copy / Paste question-

Yes, I posted it on a bunch of forums, trying to maximize as much help as I can get.

Question about following what dc3 suggested. If using the windows 7 cd that came with my alienware computer didn't help, why would that help? Thanks

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

Question about following what dc3 suggested. If using the windows 7 cd that came with my alienware computer didn't help, why would that help? Thanks

Could be because dc3 is a very experienced computer helper, while wishmakingfairy has only just started trying to help ........

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

If you go back and read the tutorial, I mention at the first of it that you will need an installation disc.  Then you will see "Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.  

Two other things.

You will need to make sure that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

The dis you have, is this a installation disc or a recovery disc?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 labam99

labam99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hello, thanks for the replies, appreciate the help.

I have one disc that came with my Alienware computer, I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly. The title of the disc is as put "Alienware - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Pit"

As I said in my original post, I put in that CD and started my computer, with no success.

I'm thinking maybe my problems are related to a failing HD, what do you guys think?

#12 labam99

labam99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

I just double checked and the CD is considered a "Recovery DVD" 

#13 labam99

labam99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hey guys. I bought a new HDD two days ago (Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA) and I'm ready to replace it with my faulty HDD.

My question is now, can I use the disc that came with my Alienware computer to install windows 7 on my new HDD?

As I said earlier the name of the disc is titled "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT"

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

In post #12 you answered your own question by finding that the disc which came with this computer is a recovery disc.

I would suggest using the information I provided in post #3 to download the ISO image and burn it to a DVD to create a bootable installation disc.

If you will post the version of Windows 7 you are running I will provide a link for a ISO that will work with your computer.  I need to know if the is a 32-bit  or 64-bit operating system, and what version your copy of Windows 7 is, Home Premium, Pro, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users