Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 33.1 and Ebola Ad

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

:idea: Help!  Updated to Firefox 33.1 this morning and oh joy, you will see in the picture I have inherited an beg for money ad

for Ebola.  Clicking "no thanks" will not remove this annoying ad.  I close out of Firefox..and it returns!  Anyone else experiencing this?

How to get rid of it?  Thanks!

firefox_zps10a7003a.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

It is obviosuly some sort of virus or adware, i run FF and have not got that, nor is it the sort of thing mozilla would do. Check your extensions and plugins, see if anything new has been added. Also run a scan with your antivirus, one with malwarebytes antimalware and scan with the tools rkill, security check, minitoolbox,adwcleaner and FSS which are available in the downloads section of this site. Make sure to check the correct settings before scanning and choose options for scanning and reporting but not removing threats until you can do more research about them. Once you have logs from those programs post them in a new thread in the "am i infected" or "virus removal logs" section of this forum. the standard settings used for the various scanners would be best determined by asking one of the staff on this site, they wil probably recommend standard settings which they will list for you. You could also scan with eset online scanner and with kaspersky virus removal tool , make sure when you look for these tools that you download from the correct website (the relevant antivirus company's website never a third party one) i am sorry i cannot remember the links to give you to get to the tools.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Not a virus. Google has a campaign going on now where they will donate $2 for every dollar donated. I went to

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

and got the same thing.

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

@rp88 ~ thank you for the suggestion(s).  I'm not worried about this being a virus, malware etc. however it's flat out irritating! I did run MCE and Mbam just for fun..clean!

@JohnC_21 ~ glad I'm not "alone" with this campaign..still aggravating on the part of Google!  Seeing their personal choice for charitable matching does not mean all Google users wish to be bugged by their choice! :apple:

Time to share my beef with Google! :grinner:

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

Which country are you in, i'm in britain and haven't seen this.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm in the U.S. and it looks like there is no longer a bar on their search page because the campaign is done.

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yes..finally the request for money is over!  I have been using Google for years, and it seems to me that this was the first time I had a direct marketing campaign from them. Hopefully the feedback they received was to find a different fund raising approach.

Thread can close! :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users