Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continued trouble with AdChoices in Google Chrome...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gpwilson

gpwilson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hello everybody!

I've been having a ton of issues with AdChoices in Chrome (and IE...). I am getting tons of ads all over various webpages and rather obnoxious pop-ups. I've tried everything that I feel comfortable trying on my own: MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, uninstalling any programs that I no longer use, uninstalling programs I don't trust, etc. So, now, I turn you for advice and/or help!

I'm running Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) on a Dell Latitude E5520. I have the most up-to-date version of Chrome. 

Is this an issue that's already been resolved? I've looked for fixes but have not found anything that has worked. 

A big thank you for your help in advance. If anyone needs some more information or if I am posting in the wrong area, just let me know.

Thanks again.

GW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi gpwilson and :welcome:

icon1348768721.jpgDownload Screen317 Security Check HERE and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please post the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so

icon1337954655.pngPlease download MiniToolBox HERE to your desktop to run it.
Checkmark the following boxes:
* List content of Hosts
* Flush DNS
* Report IE Proxy Settings
* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings
* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
Click Go and Copy / Paste the result. (result.txt)

icon1337952077.pngPlease download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) HERE and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
        Internet Services
        Windows Firewall
        System Restore
        Security Center/Action Center
        Windows Update
        Windows Defender
        Other Services
    Press "Scan".
    It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
    Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

logo.jpgDownload Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit HERE
    Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
    Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.
    MBAR will start. Click "Next" to continue.
    Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
    Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
    When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
    If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
    Open the MBAR folder located on your Desktop and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
    [b][color=limegreen]"mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"
    "system-log.txt"

Thank you!

#3 gpwilson

gpwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

When I tried to download Screen 317 Security Check, I was redirected to a BleepingComputer webpage that read:

"

Virus Download Blocked

Download of the virus has been blocked in accordance with company policy. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is in error.

File name: SecurityCheck.exe

"

Am I doing something wrong? Downloading something I really shouldn't?

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Downloading link is from this site yes.

Virus Download Blocked

Download of the virus has been blocked in accordance with company policy. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is in error.

File name: SecurityCheck.exe

Who said this?

Thank you!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized tools like SecurityCheck, may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, whether files are compressed or packed, what behavior (routines, scripts, etc) it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan. Other legitimate files which may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access for scanning but often trigger alerts by anti-virus software.

When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. Compressed and packed files in particular are often flagged as suspicious by security software because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.

Most of the well known specialized tools we use as malware fighters are written by known experts at various security forums like Bleeping Computer, TechSupport, GeeksToGo, SypwareInfo and other similar sites so they can be trusted...this includes any program hosted by BC for download. Unfortunately, many of these tools are repeatedly falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time.

The problem is really with the anti-virus vendors who keep targeting these embedded files and NOT with the tools themselves. We can inform the developers but they have encountered this issue many times before and in most cases there isn't much they can do about it. Once the detection is reported to the anti-virus vendor, they are usually quick to fix it by releasing an updated definition database.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 gpwilson

gpwilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

I attached a screenshot of the screen I get when I try to download. I'm on a university network. Might that be the issue? If so, I would imagine I could download it at my apartment?

X6lpZdZ.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

The message says the file was blocked in accordance with company policy...and to contact the System Administrator if blocked in error.

In most school environments, the IT Department implements specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. They typically have policies/restrictions in place that prohibit the installation of certain programs and/or the downloading of files from what it considers prohibited sites. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use school resources with mithe m risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

http://www.zippyshare.com/

Do you have access here to upload instruments.Must be unzipped.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users