Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint: What Style Should I Get?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Hi, I'd like to install Linux Mint, However, I don't know what Desktop Style I should choose. Although I have some experience with GNOME, I'd prefer something closest to windows xp's desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just installed cinnamon on a virtual machine, so far its.... pretty simple, its obviously different from windows, but has that simple start like button in the bottom left.

Im primarily an ubuntu user, but use other distros as well and can say the cinnamon version is pretty nice.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 11 November 2014 - 12:03 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

YlmfOS 2.0 Theme:

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/05/recall-old-memories-of-xp-with-ylmfos.html

Or win-xp-theme

http://www.itworld.com/article/2699539/enterprise-software/install-windows-xp-theme-in-linux-mint-16.html

Edited by zingo156, 11 November 2014 - 11:53 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

Some PC specs would be nice.

Having said that Linux Mint Xfce

Xfce 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Xfce desktop

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

Hi Kirbyofdeath!

If you click my avatar (picture) to the left to access my Profile, and read my signature below, you will see the sort of info we could use to help, that NickAu1 refers to. Also Kaosu's excellent Post, now Pinned, here, which says, in part:

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

If you are running Windows, you can get a lot of this from XP Pro's system info, or else use Piriform Speccy or Belarc Advisor to get the specs. You have 281 posts to your name, so it is more than time that you "fleshed out" that profile, lol (cheeky Aussie)

Moderator Stolen has a good article here, about posting screenshots when you have got us the other info.

Enjoy Linux!

:wizardball: Wizard

edited - typo

I am using 3 Distros at the moment, but love Linux Mint 17 Qiana Mate, 64-bit, adviced to me by cat1092. But I have no config/speccy restrictions, follow the advice given if using lower-order puter.

Edited by wizardfromoz, 16 November 2014 - 03:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users