Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which router to get for home use

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fdk2008

fdk2008

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:34 AM

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8151N#spec

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8951ND#spec

it needs to have a good range,there will be around 6 devices to connectusing WiFi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:46 AM

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC3200-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415713553&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+R8000+-+AC3200+Nighthawk+X6

#3 fdk2008

fdk2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

it has to be out of these two because of my budget, and does having two 5 dBi antennas instead on one increase the range?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

Welcome to BC =) 

It's really hard to recommend a wireless router based on range/coverage since there are so many factors that come in to play that can hamper them. Of the 2 you showed, if you ever need to connect more than one device wired, the TD-W8151N would be a bad choice as it only has one ethernet port. 

I also recommend that unless you are familiar with the make and model of router you are looking to buy, to find a local source if possible. That way if it doesn't perform like you want or need you can easily return or exchange it. But that is just me.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 fdk2008

fdk2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks,i will be connecting onto the WiFI ,one Ethernet port is no problem, and does having two 5dBi antenna rather than one make a difference and whats the advantage of buying a 300mbps rather than a 150mbps?

thanks a lot in advance

#6 jdesunshine

jdesunshine

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

I don't have experience with any of these specific routers, but I just wanted to comment on the one ethernet port as well. Even though the primary purpose is to use the router for wifi, more than likely, there will be times that you have to plug in whether it's testing a piece of equipment that's not connecting wirelessly, testing the wifi equipment itself, etc. and it's too limiting with only one port.

As for the mbps difference, it affects the throughput of data, so typically the higher the better, in my experience.  If your equipment can process 300mbps, but your wifi can only process 150mbps, that's the processing speed you'll have to deal with regardless of what your devices can do. You're network will only be as fast as it's "slowest" access point, so to speak.  Also, speed will depend on several factors such as where the router is place, construction of the home (wood, metal, cinder block, etc.), single level of multi story, etc.  You get the idea.  Found some helpful information about the antennas in a forum at http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2008131/adding-5dbi-antenna-make-difference-wifi-coverage.html.  I'm sure if I got anything wrong, someone can let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users