Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL download speed all over the place

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunnymarek

sunnymarek

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:06 AM

I have asymmetric DSL with download up to 20Mbps and upload only 2-3Mbps. Service provider is ATT. The problem I've been having for the last few weeks is that the network speed can jump from say 20Mbps down to 4Mbps download in just one hour, then back up an hour after that. I use att.com/speedtest to check the speed. Interestingly my Ethernet connections also change speed, something ATT says should not happen.

I have lots of devices on the home network (4 operating systems in terms of computers: ubuntu, win7/8, chrome and osx + a number of other devices in terms of phones, ipods, bluray, tv, nintendo wii, network printer, etc etc.). However they are not all on the network at the same time.

I don't recall anything changing around the time I started having problems. I do have a DSL modem with wireless but I have it connected to a wireless router that I use for the network. Several reasons for this, one being that a while back I had a DSL modem w/o wireless capability. Also the DSL modem seems to have problems more frequently and if I need to swap it or upgrade service, with a wireless router I don't need to reconfigure anything on my network. I have tried adjusting the wireless channel which doesn't seem to make much difference. ATT told me to turn off the DSL modem wireless broadcast, but that doesn't matter either. I do see that the wireless network speed out of the router is about 15% less compared to the modem. Not sure if that's an indications of anything. 

Any thoughts anyone?

Thx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Make and model of DSL modem and your router? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 sunnymarek

sunnymarek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

DSL modem: ATT, model 5031NV

Router: Netgear, model WNDR3700v3

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

Are you constantly testing it? How do you know it slows down? Do you notice a pattern to it? Certain time or certain weather stuff like that?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 sunnymarek

sunnymarek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm testing it frequently from different devices. If I'm at work I have my son test it after school. However the testing is still random enough so we can't really correlate it to anything. Not sure if time of day makes any difference. Weather I don't see how it would impact it? In any case we don't have any wild swings in temperature. Since I'm having this problem with the wireless signal from the DSL modem itself, and on the ethernet line, and I just got a new DSL modem from ATT (no improvement) then I think the problem must be outside my house.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

You'd be amazed at what can affect your speed. What does AT&T have to say? 

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

Your tests need to go to the same broadband test server each time so you have a constant in the equation.

What is the down/up you are paying for and what are the tests showing?

#8 sunnymarek

sunnymarek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

AT&T doesn't really know. You know how it is, 5% of the tech support folks actually know something about networking. They only thing they can recommend is to reboot my machine. I always ask which of the 20 devices I have on my home network should I reboot? Most of those people don't even know that hitting the reset button for 10s on your modem/router is different from unplugging it for 10s.

Anyway we should be getting up to 20Mbps download and it swings between 2Mbps and 20Mbps. Upload is 2-3Mbps and I don't even recall what it should be. I don't really upload much other than photos for family to see. My son loads videos to dropbox and youtube so he is the only one in the house that complains about upload speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users