Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Is Nearly Full Even After Clearing 30+GBs of data

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Not sure whats going on, it continues to say my hard drive is nearly full all the time. I deleted 30GB of steam games, an unsed windows virtual machine... so practically half the size of the drive and its still showing its 96/101GB useable.

Even gksudo baobab  shown that I had something like 36GB used.....

And....... like that I fixed it. I don't know what magic little witches and gremlins did, but for some reason, anything I deleted, just simply didn't delete. The first time around using gksudo baobab I added things to the trash but... didn't really think to just navigate to the full trash folder location and permenantly delete....

:P Sorry about that

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 11 November 2014 - 12:23 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:47 AM

didn't really think to just navigate to the full trash folder location and permenantly delete....

Been there done that.

Here's a good one.

I use a SSD and one day I decided to use Bleach Bit, I selected the overwrite free space or something like that plus other options, Clicked run, The overwrite function was taking forever so smart me decides to kill Bleach Bit half way thru, Fine you would think it just didn't finish over writing all that free space. But No.

My SSD had 23 gig used space, After the interrupted free space overwrite my used space went up to 189 gig, And only a format could fix it.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

Actually, I did try bleachbit just before I emptied the trash, and while I do have my free space now, the computer is acting suspiciously slow, but... I'll go down with the ship every time I try, although I'd probably be a terrible captain and fired after how many times i've corrupted my linux os to the point of being unbootable.

I dont mind if I have to reinstall, its all part of the fun of learning linux, had i never stumbled, I would have never found a solution :P

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 11 November 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

MEMBERS ARE WARNED THE USE OF UBUNTU TWEAK BLEACH BIT AND SIMILAR TOOLS ON ANY OPERATING SYSTEM CAN CAUSE YOUR PC TO BECOME UNBOOTABLE .

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

the graphical tools/notices can be misleading. my grphical disk analyzer (baobab) seems to indicate I am maxed out (guess I am reading it wrong). open a terminal and run the program df (that stands for disk free). That gives a much easier to read print up. I was out of room in one of my partitions. To solve that problem I booted I live disk and ran gparted. With gparted you can shrink one of your partitons and grow the partition you are concerned about by the same amount. If you are truly out of room backup your data and get a larger hdd.

Edited by bmike1, 11 November 2014 - 08:16 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

Mine oddly were in the trash, but just never went away. The trash can obviously shown nothing but... using the sudo baobab i was able to navigate to this folder where it took up so much, and did a shift delete, then like that, all good. Im not really sure what happened here, but... Im not going to complain, compared to when i started trying linux in 2006, its so much easier and fun to work with for people like me that aren't the best with terminal commands and navigation.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

Agent_Orange had probs with Bleachbit referred to here at Which Distro, #240, 30th August.

The thread was picked up by Cat and Nick 9th September, #272 and #273, here

Hope all is resolved, successfully

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

Yep, all is well. after the second restart, it was like nothing ever happened :P

I like the quirks that make things awful, they help me learn and get exicted when i conquer it, then get to help others in a snap ^-^

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

I like the quirks that make things awful,

In that case try  Quirky yes it's a real distro.

Quirky is a Linux distribution and is in the "Puppy Linux family", also known as a "puplet". However, Quirky is not a mainline Puppy release -- it is a distinct distro in its own right.

Edited by NickAu1, 14 November 2014 - 06:35 PM.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users