Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD partition problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kaz041

kaz041

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys, this is my first post and is a problem I've had for a while. My hard drive is installed and partitioned. It shows in bios and in disk management but not in my computer. I've tried swapping the disk priorities in different orders and only one order works where the other orders just tell me to reboot again or insert a boot cd.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

The C volume contains the boot partition, so that's the one that contains the operating system. The system partition, which contains the boot configuration and hardware configuration files, hasn't been assigned a drive letter because that's the default behavior in Windows 7. It also won't appear in Windows Explorer among the rest of your hard drives, because that's also the default behavior, to make sure the system partition isn't used to store anything else. However, your system partition is extremely large -- it really doesn't need to be more than 100 MB. It looks like you've used an entire disk to create that partition. You also have two active partitions, when you should only have one. I suspect part of the problem is your partitions and disks are misconfigured.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-system-boot-partitions#1TC=windows-7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mark-partition-active#1TC=windows-7

#3 kaz041

kaz041
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ooooooh... WOW... Something so simple stopped it from showing up... fml and Thanks a lot!!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Glad you got that figured out. :thumbup2:

Part of the confusion is that the "system" partition is the one that contains the bootloader, while the "boot" partition is the one that contains the OS. Trips up a lot of people when they are trying to configure volumes and drives. Not sure why Microsoft configured it that way, but they did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users