Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost an important .odt document in my temporary folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rapture333

Rapture333

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hello, I recently downloaded a file from google drive that opened in Libre Office, it was an article I am writing for a cryptocurrency exchange, I wrote upwards of 2300 words and stayed up until 4AM just to fniish the article in time. I saved the document, not thinking and powered down my laptop (running Linux Mint). This evening I turned on my laptop to finish the article to find that the file was not found, it looks like it has been deleted from the temp folder, I thought I saved in Documents but unforutunately I was wrong. Is there any way to recover the file? I worked for hours on this article and it would be a shame to lose it, any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

You could try Recuva by piriform: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

When looking for the type, just select documents and let it go to town searching for you.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Did you look in the /var/tmp dir?

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

Oh crap, im really sorry, i didn't notice it was the linux forum...

In that case.... we can try... photorec http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

1. Download and extract the testdisk folder to your desktop

2. Open A terminal

3. Drag the "photorec_static" into the terminal

4. Hit Enter To Proceed

5. Press the right arrow on your keyboard to select "File Opt"

6. Press S to quickly de-select all

7. Using the spacebar, select the file type and hit B, then Enter twice

7. Now On the Menu go to "Search"

6. Select *Linux

7. Hit enter for ext2/ext3

8. To Play it safe, select "Whole"

This step is to choose where to save

9. Select Documents ( For ease of access ) then press C

I hope this helps a bit, I noticed it doesn't look for .odt unfortunately :(

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 09:41 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#5 Rapture333

Rapture333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the help and quick replies! I was able to recover my .odt file using Scalpel, I had to mess with the config file to look for .odt files, but was able to se set it up and it managed to find the document. I am elated, thanks again for the help!

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Glad to hear it, and... glad to see something I didn't know about yet :P, so thanks for that.

Also! I'd go into libre office > tools > load&save > general then select the default you want your documents to save in. I know this can be important in school and offices. I generally make it so my text files save in 2007/2010/2013 .docx format so incase I do have to make a document, others can pull it up with microsoft office.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users