Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot, Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mooney1el

mooney1el

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

I  trying to resurrect a Dell 6000 laptop with Widows XP Home.  It has a Toshiba IDE 60G  hard drive.  When I initially turned it on, I could not get it to go beyond the screen which asks for me to select Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with internet etc and would continue in a loop always showing this screen no matter which option I chose.  The following was at the bottom of that screen:

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\Pci.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\pciide.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\MountMgr.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\ftdisk.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dmload.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dmio.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PartMgr.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\VolSnap.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\fltmgr.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\sr.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\mfehidk.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\drvmcdb.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KSecDD.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\NDIS.sys

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)Partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

I retrieved a disk (DELL) labeled "Operating system, Already Installed on your computer, Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a".  It may or may not be from this particular Dell since we have had 3 at one time or another.

I was able to boot the computer from this disk, and following instructions from Microsoft, I ran, from the the Recovery Console, chkdsk /r.

This took quite a while and it came back with the disk data, but no bad sectors or anything. 

The computer will now only boot through the Windows Flag screen, then a message that says it didn't find autochk, then another failure to find message, then a blank screen.

Unfortunately, I did not read the

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Author: Michael Stevens MS-MVP 2001-2007"     http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm 

before running the chkdsk /r utility.  In this instruction, it emphatically says not to run chkdsk /r

I have removed the HD, put it into a cradle and am able to access it and am now copying the "Documents and Settings",

"Documents"," Dell" and "Program Files"  folders to another HD in hopes that I can recover most important stuff.  I have run malwarebytes on the original HD and it found many threats and a couple of Trojans that it said it quarantined. I also scanned it with McAfee and found some spyware and bootbot laden files as well as another Trojan laden file, all corrected according to the results.  I did try to boot after cleaning up with MalwareBytes and McAfee but no luck.

Once I have all these folders copied to the second HD, then what should I do:

Run the Windows Setup from the Dell Disk?

Try to find a old XP installation disk for a clean install?

Or what?

Thank you so much for your help

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

If the hard drive is original to the dell you can do a factory reset by holding the Ctrl key while tapping the F11 key at power up. This will start the Recovery Manager. If that does not work, you should be able to reinstall XP using the Dell Setup disk.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4870219_restore-dell-inspiron-factory-settings.html

The problem with XP is it is no longer supported by Microsoft with Security Updates. I would not do any banking or online purchases with a XP computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users