Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Desktop not booting, electrical smell coming from the case!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

I am fixing a HP desktop for a client and need some advice.  The machine turns on and fans start, but instantly stops and system won't boot.  They complained of an electrical smell coming from the case recently.  

I booted with an external Graphics card, but that did no good.  I guess my nest step will be to try different RAM and replace the PSU and see if that works.  Hopefully it is not the motherboard, but I am assuming this could be a possibility.  Is there anything else hardware related that could be causing the problem. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

My vote goes to the PSU first. It is big enough to produce that type of smell more than once. Most everything else will be dead after the irst time.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

That and a psu is cheap and I think returnable, so always the easier choice :P, if you have another sufficent power supply in your house or can maybe borrow one from a family members older computer that migh help you save money.

Oh, and don't forget to check for blown capacitors, thats one thing you only need your eyes for

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 10 November 2014 - 06:54 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 starrouter

starrouter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

PSU + 1.  Seen those symptoms many times before and it's usually the PSU.

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.  

Does not look good for this system!  I tried a new PSU and still did not boot.  Starts, fans spin and then stop after 3 sec with nothing on the screen.  I tried a different GPU card, RAM, but still no response.  Does that mean the motherboard is just shot. Is there anything else I should try?  Thanks. 

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:44 AM

you could try a BIOS reset, locate the CMOS battery and remove it , reinstall after a few minutes and that resets the BIOS values.

Edited by synergy513, 11 November 2014 - 04:45 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:33 AM

Check for blown or bulging caps on the mainboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&biw=1262&bih=766&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4CtiVOybDYmTyQS194CoBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

When a cheap psu goes out (bestec that hp uses frequently) sometimes they will destroy other components. Below are more things you can try.

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:00 PM

This is serious and calls for the MOBO to be removed and inspected.  I'd begin around the PS connectors and associated discrete devices mounted nearby.  This sounds like a regulator failure and would be found with a multimeter to check the junctions.  One is surely shorted, causing the PS to shutdown.

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have concluded that the Motherboard has failed and not worth replacing. Client was okay with upgrading to a new computer. 

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like we have a plan.

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick