Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few applications and the control panel all stopped working at the same time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Justin711

Justin711

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

Microsoft word doesn't open, and hp support assistant doesn't work, and i cant update my computer. All the other Microsoft office programs work though. When i try to open hp support assistant, it says that i don't have the permission, even as an administrator. The windows update doesn't even open, from both the shortcut and from the control panel. But I can get it to work if i run it as an administrator. The dual monitors and parts of the control panel don't work eithier. I don't have any restore points, so how can i get all these programs to work again?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 November 2014 - 06:36 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to explore the possibility of malware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

Hi Justin711,

What's your security program and is it current? Can you run any programs? Malware, Memtest, sfc /scannow, etc.?

Are you able to access the Internet and get to the sites of your choice?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Justin711

Justin711
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think the malware is gone because I can run my security software I can also use the internet and go on any site. What should I do?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

Take your time and verify that EVERYTHING is working correctly.

Then if you are sure all is well we can part friends and await the next problem.

If not, then it will be time to start a new thread in the Am I infected forum so that you can get the expert assistance you will need to confirm that the system is clean or guide you through the cleanup process.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 Justin711

Justin711
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:53 PM

thanks! Ill start a new thread in Am i infected

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

There was no need to start a new topic in Am I Infected.

THIS one is already in Am I infected, where it was moved to on November 10th.

This post was made on Nov. 11th, AFTER this topic had been moved here to Am I Infected.

If not, then it will be time to start a new thread in the Am I infected forum so that you can get the expert assistance you will need to confirm that the system is clean or guide you through the cleanup process.
Keep us posted

However, since you have already started a new one, I will close this one so you can start with a clean slate in your other topic in Am I Infected.

Link to the new topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/555870/a-few-applications-and-the-control-panel-all-stopped-working-at-the-same-time/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 November 2014 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users