Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get on-line

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Recently reformatted old Dell Dimension 4600 Pentium 4 XP  .. to be used basically for email.

Must have failed to install software to connect with? All cables connected are in place and operate thru router to other PC.

What do I need to do from here please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hello,

Go Here and download the following driver

Chipset

There are many Drivers for the Network and I am not sure which one you need. Go to Device Manager. Look for any device with a Yellow Exclamation Mark. Do this after installing the Chipset driver and doing a reboot.

Right click each device with a yellow exclamation mark and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware ID's. Copy and Paste the first line from each device in your next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#3 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Don't mean to sound ignorant.. but how do I get that onto the PC that I can't connect on? Copy & Paste onto device and upload onto old PC?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:45 PM

Okay, sorry for the confusion. I thought you meant that you formatted the PC and installed XP. Then you could not get on-line and "install software to connect with" which to me meant you could not get on the internet and the computer needed a network driver.

Can you give further details? You formatted the computer. Did you install XP? Your saying you cannot boot the computer?

Edit: You can download the chipset driver to a USB flash drive on another computer. Then install it on the computer that cannot get online. Once we get the Network driver doing the same thing, you will be able to download the other drivers which I will link to depending how many yellow exclamation marks are in Device Manager. I just need the Device and Vendor ID's using the method I mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#5 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 XP. I [reformatted?] deleted everything and then re-installed XP with the original CD's that came with it. [ must be missing a CD?? ] Everything works OK but I can't connect to the internet. I've installed a few things.. programs/files with no issues. The cables are the same config as this PC I'm on now.. with cable from router to here as well as another cable to old PC from router. Simply changing monitor cable and mouse cable and I can operate the old PC.. except can not connect to internet.

I don't speak computer lingo.. I'm a Herpetologist - wanna buy a baby Malaclemys terrapin terrapin? See what I mean?

Thank you for your help.. I appreciate it - just not sure what some of your terminology means. I do have flash drives and external hard-drive?

I have saved some files onto the external.. in hopes I could also "Network"? to old computer any other files, etc. from here to the old PC. [ email files, etc. ]

Again thanks for helping out...

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

Okay,

Did you download the Chipset driver I linked to and then copy that to a USB flash drive? If you did that then attach the USB flash drive to the computer you cannot connect with. Copy the file to the desktop. Double click the file and follow the instructions.

After you reboot, go to Device Manager. Look for any device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. You should have one next to your Network Adapter. Right click and select Properties. Click the Details tab. In the dropdown box select Hardware ID's. Copy and Past the first line of each device into a text file. Copy that text file to a USB flash drive. Attach the USB flash drive to the computer you use to post here. Copy and Paste each line in your next post.

http://askdrtech.org/solutions/solution/database/tech/index58a6.html?tag=/hardware+id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users