Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Crossover Cable

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baldybods


  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to advise me on my problem. I have bought a 'crossover' cable so that I can link a second computer to share a broadband connection - I was told that using a crossover cable would be the easiest way of doing this. However, one of the computers ( the older one) does not seem to have a socket in which to plug the cable!!!
Can you get adapters or something and if so - what are they called??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 DaveM59


    Bleepin' Grandpa

  • Members
  • 1,355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:TN USA
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

The adapters are called Network cards or Ethernet cards. They plug into slots on the motherboard of your computer. You can buy them for $15 or so from CompUSA (in the US) and other such places.

If you have never opened up a computer case before to install an expansion card, make sure you buy one with clear, well illustrated instructions included. Better yet, if you know such a person, ask a geek to help you with the job. It's not difficult but the insides of a PC can look intimidating the first time you see them -- I know that was the case with me.

Good luck with your networking project.

#3 Herk


  • Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:S.E. Idaho, USA
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

Sounds as if you're going about it the wrong way. The easiest way to share an internet connection is with a router. A wired router costs about $30. You can also get a wireless router, which costs more, but will connect computers, such as laptops, that have built-in wireless cards.

You would not use a crossover cable with a router, but rather a plain ethernet cable between the modem and the router, and another ethernet cable between each of the computers and the router. Some computers are connected to the modem by a USB cable, but ethernet is the preferred method.

As mentioned in the previous post, if the computer you're trying to connect is without an ethernet card, it must be installed. If said computer uses Windows XP, it will often find the card without additional software, but if it's an earlier operating system, the software included with the card will be needed in most cases. Ethernet cards usually cost between $15 - $20.

Crossover cables are particularly useful to hook two computers together without a network. You simply plug the crossover cable into the ethernet ports of two computers and set up Windows networking. It's also possible, if your computer is connected to the modem by USB to connect the two ethernet ports from computer to computer, though it will work better with ethernet. More on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users