Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC or laptop power connector (shaky connection) - Lenovo z575

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leodv

leodv

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

Lenovo Z575 laptop 15.6"

Windows 7 Home

Unsure what original stock cord model number is

Good plug to outlet connection, seems secure throughout cord, at least until laptop connector.

My 2012 lenovo Z575 laptop has had some AC adapter or power issues. Battery seems fine. I had the same problem with the lenovo stock adapter after warranty expired (I maybe stepped on the cord accidentally, maybe pulling the cord, plus internal connector), and so about a year ago or less bought a universal AC adapter power cord which has worked solidly until a few months ago.

Issue is that though plugged in, it suddenly doesn't connect apparently and goes to battery power then it's kind of hit and miss. I have to jiggle the cord at the connection point, or angle it, or turn it, keep it in whatever position such that the icon shows it is on AC power without moving, instead of battery. Then inevitably, the cord moves and back to worrying if this is the last time.

It has been getting worse lately such that I worry I'll sometime have just the battery power, and then out of time to look for help online (this is my only device). I can go try a new AC adapter, but that seems like it may be the symptom and not the cure or that it may not help this time.

Also, because of this, I keep it fully 100% charged, instead of extending the battery life by keeping it (according to Lenovo's power management tool) at 50% which I've read is better for the battery lifespan.

How best to proceed? I've never actually taken in my PCs over the years for hardware issues anywhere, and it's a fairly cheap laptop.

Edited by leodv, 10 November 2014 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:16 AM

If the jack on the back of the lappy that the AC adapter plugs in to is loose, then that will be a shop level repair. Re-soldering the connection "may" fix it, but if it doesn't, then parts would have to be ordered and installed. I would estimate at least $200 to repair it, but it will probably cost more. To give you an idea of what is involved in laptop repair, see this video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN1m5zhnww .

Edited by ElfBane, 11 November 2014 - 04:17 AM.

#3 leodv

leodv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

If the jack on the back of the lappy that the AC adapter plugs in to is loose, then that will be a shop level repair. Re-soldering the connection "may" fix it, but if it doesn't, then parts would have to be ordered and installed. I would estimate at least $200 to repair it, but it will probably cost more. To give you an idea of what is involved in laptop repair, see this video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqN1m5zhnww .

Wow, that's too bad for me since the laptop (and any other I buy short term) is worth only about $500. I guess this isn't a separate component. I would have thought I or someone could modular-ly replace the actual jack/connector or whatever the term is pretty easily. Thanks for the reply.

Interestingly, I tried the old stock cord just the 1/2 to the jack. i.e. half lenovo cord to jack, 1/2 new nonlenovo cord from plug, and it seems to be holding charge so far and not flickering. I don't get why, but maybe it will last.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:49 AM

The input power board may very well be discrete, and if so, you wouldn't need to replace the entire MB, thereby saving some money. AAMOF it appears that this lappy may have a discrete input power board. You will need to teardown the lappy to be sure though. Here is the manual ... http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z575 .

Select the Manuals tab, then select Hardware Maintenance Manuals, then you can DL the pdf.

Edited by ElfBane, 13 November 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#5 leodv

leodv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

The input power board may very well be discrete, and if so, you wouldn't need to replace the entire MB, thereby saving some money. AAMOF it appears that this lappy may have a discrete input power board. You will need to teardown the lappy to be sure though. Here is the manual ... http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z575 .

Select the Manuals tab, then select Hardware Maintenance Manuals, then you can DL the pdf.

Well, this half and half cord is iffy too looks like. Thanks for the link, but the manual didn't mention anything relevant after searching for power, motherboard separately.

The cord seems to work when it is bundled up more than straight. Right now it is working since I am at a desk, but on the floor if I keep the cord straighter than not, it flickers to battery. I mean if I straighten the cord so it doesnt loop itself, it goes to battery. I hope this means it is just the cord. Any ideas why this is or what it indicates as the problem source?

I will probably take it to an oldfashioned electronics shop today, where I bought the replacement cord. Maybe they can fix the jack if that's the problem. Or at least, I will try a new cord. Other than that, yikes.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:53 PM

This has become a real thorn in my side.  Close to thirty laptops in the last two months with bad AC adapters.  It seems they have two seperate power voltages and a three conductor cable/connector.  The cable from the brick to the laptop plugin gets twisted and     bent every which way and a short in the wire burns out the adapter and sometimes the little adapter board inside the laptop.  Some units don't have the little adapter board and instead connect directly to the mainboard.  Not an easy repair.

#7 leodv

leodv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

Electronics guy said it probably was the cord adapter and so I ended up buying one he repaired couple days ago. So far so good.At this point, I am updating this thread just for completeness, for some future person with the same problem. If this doesn't work, I'll update again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users