Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help removing Trojan.Poweliks!gm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 greenera

greenera

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have a laptop computer running Windows 7x64 that acquired this Trojan somehow - not sure exactly when. I am running Norton Utilities v21.6.0.32, which detects Poweliks (hazard level 'high') on bootup and says it "blocked an attack". I get another message that says a restart is needed to complete the process, but it doesn't complete as I still get the blocked attack message on reboot. I'm not certain if Norton blocks or secures the Trojan somehow or not. When I run the Task Master, I don't see extra files running or propagating, but the computer can be slow. Scanning with AntiMalwarebytes does not detect the Trojan or any other problems, but the program sometimes blocks outgoing messages and identifies dll.host.exe.

I don't use the infected computer often, usually not for email and it doesn't contain much (or any?) financial info, so I am just not using it now, but it will be my main computer when traveling in February and March. I would like to be sure of its security by then. My desktop computer does not seem to be compromised.

Rick

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 supergod706

supergod706

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello!

a solution i have found to be very helpful in this manner is a program called Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org)

very simple, download, install and run an update and security scan, this is a very good program, and it's also free.

please let me know if this helps!

#3 greenera

greenera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply supergod. I have used Malwarebytes for a long time and even paid for the premium version, which didn't prevent acquiring the Trojan. It doesn't identify the Trojan on booting up or find any other malware on the computer, but has prevented most problems in the past. As I mentioned previously, Norton identifies the Trojan on booting up, but doesn't remove it. This probably is due to the Trojan's location - in the registry.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

I have moved (split away) your DDS log(s) to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum as they are not permitted in this forum.

Please go here, click on the Follow this topic button in the upper right corner and select Immediate Notification to subscribe to that topic so you are notified when a helper replies.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users